Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Slow fermentation with Sorghum and Rice extract

Old 01-13-2011, 04:27 PM   #11
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruppe View Post
Sorry, the Wyeast comparison was for non-GF beers, just using as a comparison. To try to clarify, I have never had a contamination problem, temp is 66 based on one of those stick on gauges, which is normal for the dark corner of the back room in the basement where I always ferment. All things being the same, this batch is just going in slow motion compared to my other brews. I guess I was wondering if the sorghum/rice just didn't ferment as fast as barley. Smaller pitch rate of dry vs. smack-pack? I can't remember the last time I used dry yeast. I know this will make some cringe, but I haven't taken a hydrometer reading for years. I know my system, it's consistent, and I know when my beers are ready to bottle. I suppose I could dig it out and see where I'm at.
Sorgum/rice ferment at the same rate for me, no discernable difference.

Pitch rates of dry yeast are greater than smack packs, by a factor of 1.5 or so, but only when you rehydrate the yeast. Otherwise its about the same.

Hydrometer/refractometer is the only way to really know. If you hate your hydrometer so much, I highly recommend a refractometer. So, so nice.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:42 PM   #12
ruppe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

How much yeast nutrient? I may have underdone that. I've never used it before. It says 1/2 tsp, I went crazy and doubled that. Not enough?

Old 01-13-2011, 04:50 PM   #13
aggieotis
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKershner View Post
Hydrometer/refractometer is the only way to really know. If you hate your hydrometer so much, I highly recommend a refractometer. So, so nice.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought a refractometer only worked with non-fermented beer because the alcohol throws off the sugar readings.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:52 PM   #14
DKershner
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruppe View Post
How much yeast nutrient? I may have underdone that. I've never used it before. It says 1/2 tsp, I went crazy and doubled that. Not enough?
Mine says 1tsp per gallon. That is for wine, which is devoid of FAN. For a half Sorghum, half BRS, I would go with about 2tsp, or since yours appears to be 1/2tsp per gallon, 1tsp.

So you are about on, must be something else.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:53 PM   #15
DKershner
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieotis View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought a refractometer only worked with non-fermented beer because the alcohol throws off the sugar readings.
If you have the original reading, it is easy to figure out the final one.

Beersmith has a tool that can convert for you, or here is the one I use online: http://brew.stderr.net/refractometer.html

Old 01-13-2011, 05:22 PM   #16
aggieotis
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKershner View Post
If you have the original reading, it is easy to figure out the final one.

Beersmith has a tool that can convert for you, or here is the one I use online: http://brew.stderr.net/refractometer.html
Great link! And figuring it out backwards is pretty awesome too for that 2am finished batch where I forgot to check my OG.

Old 01-13-2011, 05:25 PM   #17
DKershner
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieotis View Post
Great link! And figuring it out backwards is pretty awesome too for that 2am finished batch where I forgot to check my OG.
Also very good for figuring out the OG of a commercial beer you want to clone.

Old 01-16-2011, 03:54 PM   #18
ruppe
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I checked it again friday night and activity dropped considerably. Seems to be dropping clear now. Guess it just needed time.