Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Growing "wild" hops with my rhizomes

Old 01-01-2011, 03:00 PM   #1
gungadin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Growing "wild" hops with my rhizomes

Hops grow in the wild, right? What if I was to encourage that by planting rhizomes in areas that fit the soil/sun/drainage characteristics that hops look for? There is so much open and wooded space where I live, much of which never sees another human being... seems like a waste that there are no hops growing there!

Anyone done this/seen this? Any tips or suggestions?

Old 01-01-2011, 03:13 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 134 Posts

Not intentionally, but there are feral hops all over the place around here as they go back over 100 years as a crop. As far as your situation goes, you should probably check with a local university about introducing them, as them might crowd out some native plants. Hops can be really invasive.

Wild American hops are related, but not the same.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-01-2011, 04:02 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6017 Times on 4288 Posts
Likes Given: 1547

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
Not intentionally, but there are feral hops all over the place around here as they go back over 100 years as a crop. As far as your situation goes, you should probably check with a local university about introducing them, as them might crowd out some native plants. Hops can be really invasive.

Wild American hops are related, but not the same.
I agree with David- hops are invasive and can take over an entire area. They sure are easy to grow! In my yard, I can keep them under control pretty well but if you have sensitive species in your area you should be sure you won't interfere with them.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans