so I brewed two 5 gal batches today both the same base recipe
#6 light malt extract (lme)
#2 Amber dry Malt
#1 Crystal Malt 20L
#1 Crystal Malt 120L
#1 Cara Red
2 oz Golding Hops
Notingham Dry yest...
one I added some pecans to but the other I went wild and added #6 of brown sugar...Drinking home brew ......brewing home brew why not.....I didnt expect it to get to 18% about 1132og but it did so now I have to get some champaign yeast but unable to get it until monday I do usually have very good fast starts with the notty about 4 hours or so will the notty start and then I can add the stronger yeast monday or later and be ok? If so should I let the notty stall out before pitching the other yeast? any sugestions on what yeast to get? Also I will be dry hopping this any sugestions on that size style.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:51 PM   #2
PVH
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

wow. Yes, you can use the wine yeast later on when the notty poops out. However, 6 lbs is a LOT of sugar. Is that 3 lbs per batch, or 6 lbs in each?

Edit: O, I see, 6# in one.

Reason: stupid

Old 01-01-2011, 03:35 AM   #3
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 408 Times on 363 Posts
Likes Given: 7

From the ingredients I make one to be 1.075 (or there abouts) and the other to be 1.130 (or there abouts). Fermenting out 75% will get you to 1.035 (very sweet), and 13% alcohol. Notty will not get there.

I've never added a yeast late, but since there is a lot of alcohol, and low O2 it will not reproduce, so will be very slow to ferment (maybe months). Anyone else with experience?

At 2 ozs Goldings hops, I think both are going to be very lacking in bitterness and flavor.

I think brew #1 will be very sweet due to a lot of crystal (and associated unfermentable sugars), low bitterness and not have a lot going for it.

I think brew #2 is a lost cause. Maybe some type of malt wine in about 18 months.

Hope they turn out better than they look.

Old 01-01-2011, 03:51 AM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 5789 Times on 4142 Posts
Likes Given: 1453

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christafer11 View Post
so I brewed two 5 gal batches today both the same base recipe
#6 light malt extract (lme)
#2 Amber dry Malt
#1 Crystal Malt 20L
#1 Crystal Malt 120L
#1 Cara Red
2 oz Golding Hops
Notingham Dry yest...
one I added some pecans to but the other I went wild and added #6 of brown sugar...Drinking home brew ......brewing home brew why not.....I didnt expect it to get to 18% about 1032og but it did so now I have to get some champaign yeast but unable to get it until monday I do usually have very good fast starts with the notty about 4 hours or so will the notty start and then I can add the stronger yeast monday or later and be ok? If so should I let the notty stall out before pitching the other yeast? any sugestions on what yeast to get? Also I will be dry hopping this any sugestions on that size style.
i can't read this very well because of no punctuation but i dont think this will be good with 6 # brown sugar because brown sugar is molasses and sugar and will ferment out quite a bit and i don't like (fermented molasses tastes like ass) it but it wont get to 18% anyway no matter what kind of yeast you use so it will be sweet and you can pitch whatever kind of yeast you want i don't think 18% is right so you could check the hydrometer reading but 18% is the absolute limit for champagne yeast anyway so you can do it if you want but no other yeast will be able to ferment it all out anyway. You can add the yeast later if you want- it doesn't matter.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
People Like This 
Old 01-01-2011, 04:23 AM   #5
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
i can't read this very well because of no punctuation but....
LOL, wow! I guess the use of a period is just way too hard. 6#'s of brown sugar... I wouldn't drink that unless it was distilled and aged for a minute or two by Ron Bicardi.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 01-01-2011, 06:11 AM   #6
BreckBastion
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

People that are new to brewing want to just jump in and make some outrageous ABV. What they don't realize is that it takes experience to understand how to make that work. I personally think you just "brewed" your first dumper. Some people will come on here and ask if something is a good idea. I think that is a better route to take than doing something you may not have realized was so drastic. If there's something you need to know, the information is likely already on this forum somewhere. You just have to take the time to search it out. Good luck.
Oh. I doubt there's much you can do with this batch except aerate a couple times a day for 2 days and then you can try pitching champagne/wine yeast probably somewhere right after high Krausen maybe.
MikeRoBrew1 Likes This 
Old 01-01-2011, 12:25 PM   #7
Morbo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

With that much sugar its gonna taste like a$$ unless you age it for a very, very long time and even then i have my doubts. I never liked the taste of fermented corn sugar. I wouldn't waste the hops to dry hop it. Good luck though, its your brew and if that's your thing go for it. I think everyone has gone through a high ABV phase at one point or another.

Old 01-01-2011, 01:53 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2856 Times on 1690 Posts
Likes Given: 3507

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo View Post
I think everyone has gone through a high ABV phase at one point or another.
Yeah but I waited til I'd been brewing for several years before I attempted it.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-01-2011, 11:41 PM   #9
kegtoe
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 20

back to the OP question...

add the champagne yeast well after the notty is done, that way you get the flavor that the notty might produce. I'd use that dry champagne yeast in the little yellow packs - it will fermetn to very high alcohol levels.

good luck with your beer. 6# brown sugar is a lot, but you never know. Feel free to send me one for evaluation

Old 01-01-2011, 11:41 PM   #10
Christafer11
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

what can I say I was drinking and a buddy said "how high can you make the abv" so I made it high (well potentially high abv). I have been brewing for several years and not my first rodeo but never done anything like that before, it was a Ill show you type thing. @kegtoe if it does finish and gets to bottle I just might do that ill pm if it gets that far....