Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Fermenting a Barleywine, level of beer dropping in carboy

Old 12-31-2010, 01:14 PM   #1
promontory
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Fermenting a Barleywine, level of beer dropping in carboy

So I am fermenting a simple barley wine. Had an OG of 1.089. Used a starter and the fermentation started within about 6 hours. Now after 48 hours the fermentation is going like mad, which is great but the level of the beer in the carboy is dropping. It started out above the top curve in the carboy and is now below the curve.

Is this normal? I don't want to lose all my beer...

thoughts?

Old 12-31-2010, 01:49 PM   #2
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Are you using a blow off tube?
Is the carboy sitting in a puddle of beer?

-a.

Old 12-31-2010, 02:04 PM   #3
promontory
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am using a blow off tube, and no there is no puddle, its going into the blowoff bucket, which I will need to dump...

I have lost about 1.5" of beer in the carboy.

Old 12-31-2010, 04:42 PM   #4
wonderbread23
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Make sure that your blow-off tube isn't touching the level of the fermenting beer. Also, it is very important to control your ferment temperature on big beers to prevent it from going too crazy.

Old 12-31-2010, 04:44 PM   #5
ajf

Recipes 

You'll stop losing beer when it stops blowing off. That's why I don't like blow off tubes.

-a.

Old 12-31-2010, 07:47 PM   #6
promontory
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok, AJF, not sure what you mean you don't like blow off tubes, how else could I handle that level of CO2 and kruesen?

So here is where I am at, I pitched in the low 60's and put the carboy in a room that is 67'. The fermometer on the side of the carboy says its in the mid-70's but the room is cooler than that.

I just moved the carboy into my garage that lives at about 55' if I keep the garage door shut which I do.

any other recommendations. Hopefully I haven't lost the beer to diacetyl.

thanks so much for the input.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:15 PM   #7
ajf

Recipes 

I'd rather use a larger carboy than a smaller one with a blow off. I'm really cheap, and don't like the thought of blowing excess beer out of the top of the carboy.
Putting it in the garage for a while should help it cool and slow down the fermentation. You may find that you can bring it indoors again when the fermentation slows as it won't produce so much heat.

Good luck.

-a.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:21 PM   #8
wonderbread23
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by promontory View Post
So here is where I am at, I pitched in the low 60's and put the carboy in a room that is 67'. The fermometer on the side of the carboy says its in the mid-70's but the room is cooler than that.
Keeping it in a room at 67* probably means that you're in the mid-70's actual fermentation temp. This will likely lead to fusel (hot) alcohols and esthers. It would also explain the vigorous fermentation.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:31 PM   #9
cheezydemon3
Recipes 

Liked 1651 Times on 1241 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

OK, it is time to let you in on the secret of the invisible bear that lives in your primary, and the gnomes that make his life hell...........

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/appa...rimary-187905/

Old 12-31-2010, 09:58 PM   #10
promontory
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Definetally some gnomes in there. I use a blowoff normally because I do yeast starters and fermenting typically is pretty aggressive so it helps but I have never lost any to the blowoff like this. Total I probably lost 2-3" in the carboy. Oh well.

So I have it in the garage and the temp is coming down which is good. The blowoff has slowed quite a bit. Is there any way to figure the fermentation temp other than the fermometer?

thanks and hopefully the fusel and esters are that prevalent.