If you could have any object turned into a tap handle, what would it be? - Page 31 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > If you could have any object turned into a tap handle, what would it be?

Old 12-16-2012, 09:33 PM   #301
tx_shooter
Recipes 

Nov 2012
Granbury, Tx
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I just went and looked; there is no shortage of large parts. The weight of the cams ( I have one from my motor and one from a cam swap in my Dad's bike) is what worries me. I would have to find a way to make it loose some weight so as to not stress the tap too much. Other than that there are the standard piston rods and such. If you want I'll shoot a couple pics to you in a PM after I finish my homework. Statistics is really kickin my butt right now.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:04 AM   #302
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2010
Liked 496 Times on 431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_shooter View Post
I just went and looked; there is no shortage of large parts. The weight of the cams ( I have one from my motor and one from a cam swap in my Dad's bike) is what worries me. I would have to find a way to make it loose some weight so as to not stress the tap too much. Other than that there are the standard piston rods and such. If you want I'll shoot a couple pics to you in a PM after I finish my homework. Statistics is really kickin my butt right now.
Very interested, and waiting on those pics. I'm working on gathering funds for a mini lathe, so I could have a way to reduce the weight on some parts (depending on what they are).

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 04-20-2013, 05:39 PM   #303
GroosBrewz

Recipes 

Sep 2008
West Richland, WA, WA
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I think a horse shoe would make a good tap handle, with some modifications of course.. The weight would be an issue, but it could be done... anyone ever used a golf ball for a tap handle?
Tap 4- Dicks Danger Ale Clone

"Today I felt like burning some calories....So I found a fat kid and set him on fire"

Old 04-20-2013, 05:44 PM   #304
cthulu1975
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2011
rochester, ny
Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroosBrewz
I think a horse shoe would make a good tap handle, with some modifications of course.. The weight would be an issue, but it could be done... anyone ever used a golf ball for a tap handle?
You could always make a cast of the original shoe, resin or plaster then paint it.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:58 PM   #305
GroosBrewz

Recipes 

Sep 2008
West Richland, WA, WA
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthulu1975 View Post
You could always make a cast of the original shoe, resin or plaster then paint it.

Very True.. I recently came across an old atari joystick.. That might be pretty cool as a tap handle....

"Today I felt like burning some calories....So I found a fat kid and set him on fire"

Old 06-06-2013, 05:13 AM   #306
m_c_zero
Recipes 

Apr 2011
Westminster, CO
Liked 229 Times on 162 Posts

How about a stick shift from an old muscle car?

GroosBrewz Likes This 
Old 06-06-2013, 03:12 PM   #307
CreamyGoodness
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2011
Ossining, NY
Liked 2134 Times on 1409 Posts

how about the bleached and shallacked turkey leg bone?

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 06-06-2013, 03:15 PM   #308
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2010

I'm going to have to make a 5-6" long cannon for a tap handle now. Just need to finish the micro-cannon for someone else first.

Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 06-06-2013, 04:34 PM   #309
GroosBrewz

Recipes 

Sep 2008
West Richland, WA, WA
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Man, there are some cool ideas on this thread...

Old 06-06-2013, 04:40 PM   #310
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2010

I expect to have some cleaned-up pistons back soon (being media blasted to remove stuff on them). Once I get them back, I plan to work on a mounting method. I also need to see about drilling (and tapping) the piston rod I was sent. Since I finally got my drill press situated (and running at the right RPM) it shouldn't be too difficult. If I can't do it here, I'll have to see if a friend can put the hole into it at a machine shop he has access to (it's one you can join to do things).

Fermenting
K1: