Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Risky Recommendation?

Old 02-06-2007, 02:32 AM   #1
mew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Default Risky Recommendation?

On his winemaking homepage, Jack Keller recommends using a 5 gal water container for aging wines so as not to tie up a carboy. That way you can make more wine while aging your original wines. I've heard that oxidation might be a problem with this method. Maybe more sulfites would protect the wine from this extra threat. I don't know. What do you think?

Keg 2: Empty

Old 02-06-2007, 02:43 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6224 Times on 4436 Posts
Likes Given: 1681

I'm a Jack keller fan, so it surprises me that he'd suggest aging in plastic. I wouldn't do it- I don't even age wine in my better bottles. I'd bottle and then age before I'd age in plastic water bottles. To me, there's just too much risk of oxidation in those plastic containers, and after all that time and effort I'm not willing to chance it. I bulk age in glass carboys, and if I need the carboy, I bottle the wine and age it. If the wine is clear and stabilized, and not throwing lees any more, it's ok to bottle.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans