Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Honey malt to replace C-20 in Blonde?

Old 12-29-2010, 01:11 AM   #1
Scroto
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Honey malt to replace C-20 in Blonde?

Greetings HBT I don't post often but I love the place and wealth of knowledge that abounds!

I've been curious about what Honey malt contributes to a beer and my question today is specifically how much is an appropriate amount to use in a blonde ale.

The blonde ale I normally brew is 94% 2-row and 6% c-20 with an OG of 1.045 and a 20ish IBU bittering addition.

I'm wondering if replacing the c-20 with an equal amount of Honey malt(25L) will be a decent switch so as to get a feel for what kind of flavor it brings to the party.

Thanks for taking the time to read this!
Cheers,
Scroto

Old 12-29-2010, 01:16 AM   #2
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

If my math is right, that works out to 6oz or so in 5 gallons?

You'll definitely get a "feel" for it at that level, but it shouldn't be too overpowering. Expect more residual sweetness and a noticeable honey aroma/flavor.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:42 AM   #3
defenestrate
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

honey malt is more pronounced than light cmalts in my experience... you should def pick it up at that level with such a light beer.

Old 12-29-2010, 03:41 AM   #4
Scroto
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarven_stout View Post
If my math is right, that works out to 6oz or so in 5 gallons?

You'll definitely get a "feel" for it at that level, but it shouldn't be too overpowering. Expect more residual sweetness and a noticeable honey aroma/flavor.

Close. I've got it at 8oz. for a 5.5gallon batch.

Thanks for the answers guys I appreciate it! I'm excited to taste the difference and I'll try to remember to post some perceived differences.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:04 AM   #5
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroto View Post
Close. I've got it at 8oz. for a 5.5gallon batch.

Thanks for the answers guys I appreciate it! I'm excited to taste the difference and I'll try to remember to post some perceived differences.
Yeah, I didn't account for efficiency.

Anyway, have fun with your experiment!

Old 12-29-2010, 04:23 AM   #6
BreckBastion
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think you'll definitely notice it. I'd like to know how it turns out. I expect it will be much sweeter than your normal recipe even at 8oz.