Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > Extract - Lady Rumpkin Pumpkin Rum Ale

Old 11-30-2012, 01:03 PM   #141
Hopelesst
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Remember how I said I got worried about carbination and added a few grains of champagne yeast to each bottle? Well guess what. We crack one of the 6 that didnt have the added yeast and it is a completely different beer. More spice, richer malt, less ethanol, less tart, brighter pumpkin, and more drinkable. I should have just trusted the recipie and come out with a better beer.

Another 6 months and the yeast-ed bottles will prolly be fine. The heat on the natural ones is a bit severe (no worse than some commercial barleywines I've bought) but its a much better beer at this point.

I already plan on this being an annual brew, so I'll know better next time.

Thanks again Weeb!
Bottled: Lady Rumpkin Imp. Pumpkin Ale
Planned: Bramling ESB, White House Honey Ale, Sage/Rye Saison, Ethiopian Coffee Porter

Old 12-01-2012, 08:43 PM   #142
TheWeeb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Agreed, I think I will put a case of this year's batch away for next year. It should really be rich and smooth by then.

Up Next: Imperial Rhubarb Wheat
Fermenting:
Enjoying: too many odd bottles to list..

Old 12-15-2012, 10:49 PM   #143
tyecies
Recipes 

Just transferred the original recipe with a few changes to the secondary. I substituted 1 pound of maple syrup for .5lbs honey and .5lbs white sugar for cost reasons, used 2oz goldings hops (seemed wasteful to throw away the other .5oz) and added 1oz of cascade at 15 minutes to add some citrus with a bit more bitterness. I also added 1 tbsp of vanilla extract to the rum/spice tea. I used 2 packets of Safale-05 instead of WLP500 as I prefer a more neutral yeast with fewer fruit esters. I also don't have a great way to control fermentation temps, so when I brewed with WP500 in the past I got too much banana for my liking. I broke my hydrometer on brew day, so I don't have an OG, but FG at transfer was 1.016. It was in the primary for 2 weeks, so I'm not expecting it to drop any further. Taste was quite good with pumpkin and malt up front, though a bit sweet. Didn't get too much spice. I'm hoping the combo of increased alcohol bite from rum alongside the increased spice aroma from the secondary adds some depth to the beer. Secondary for 3 weeks, bottle for 3 weeks, and hopefully we'll be all set.

As a side note there was a ton of sludge at the bottom, I probably lost .5gallons, though this was expected.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:50 PM   #144
tyecies
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLI View Post
Totally brewed this a few weeks ago, in a pumpkin. Getting ready to add the rum sometime soon, but I'm in no hurry with such a big beer...
That you actually brewed this in a pumpkin is just awesome. For my curiosity, how were you able to get an airtight seal?

Old 01-03-2013, 06:05 AM   #145
Kob
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Just read all 15 pages. I'm getting ready to brew this up over the next couple weeks for next winter/fall time.

Thanks for the effort guys. It's appreciated.

Mike
busold Likes This 
Old 01-03-2013, 03:07 PM   #146
SLI
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It's been in the bottle for a few weeks, and ooh boy, it's tasty!

Shoot, tycies, just saw your post. I didn't worry about an airtight seal. At first I tried to cover it up with the top of the pumpkin, but the fermentation was so vigorous that I had to just cover it up with a towel. Look up open fermentation, it's been my experience that it is really hard to infect a batch of beer.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:02 AM   #147
tyecies
Recipes 

Just bottled today. Tastes fantastic. Lots of pumpkin, rum, and vanilla up front (my own addition). Can't wait for it to carb.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:44 PM   #148
TheWeeb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I have about a dozen bottles stashed for this fall, will be interesting to see how it ages. Good stuff!

Up Next: Imperial Rhubarb Wheat
Fermenting:
Enjoying: too many odd bottles to list..

Old 07-14-2013, 07:48 AM   #149
Dxcv
Recipes 

I just brewed the original recipe, with a few tweaks, of this today!
- Used two packets of S-33
- Used 12 oz of maple syrup in place of 16 oz
- I mixed some molasses and spice in with the pie
before baking (I did drizzle molasses as spices over
the top as well)
- I had a rum tasting party and settled on Captain
Morgan Black
- Used 2 oz of Kent Goldings as I over measured a bit

I only have a five gallon pot, so I boiled in 3 gallons of water. Must have worked, because it it happily bubbling away.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:45 AM   #150
sfrisby
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 13 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 263 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Figured it was about that time for this thread to come alive again.