Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Electric VS Nat Gas (not propane)
Old 12-31-2010, 06:20 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I am beginning to think I am splitting hairs over this. Finally got out the electric bill so I could start dealing with facts instead of feelings.

Here is what I discovered:

Currently I am paying $0.21 /KWH. (San Diego - 3rd tier)

So, a 5500 watt element at 3 hrs, that's 16500w or 16.5kw x .21 = $3.46 (I suspect this is a high estimate). Even if i brew 4 times a month, we are still only talking about less that $14.

And I suspect with good Kettle insulation the value above likely would be much less. Also, the boil does not require 100% element on.

Probably can make up what little extra cost there is for going electric by going bulk on my grain purchases. I think Bobbi_m said this as well.

I find this cost very reasonable. I was thinking it would be in the 5-10 dollar range. Kind of interesting how I simply "knew" it would be sky high expensive - perhaps a life lesson here... How'd that happen?

Anyhow, for me, this conversation is over! I will be going electric. Bring on the SSR's, heat sinks, and heating elements! Really looking forward to it all. Intially I am pretty sure I will be hybrid - MT and HLT electric with the boiler using gas.

So now I simply need to make sure I don't electrocute myself, as opposed to blowing myself up with Nat Gas. Actually for awhile I could do both!

Brewing Russian Imperial Stout tomorrow!

Thanks Guys!