Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > WTK: Best Way to Clean / Sanitize Plate Chiller

Old 12-28-2010, 03:57 PM   #1
ultravista
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Default WTK: Best Way to Clean / Sanitize Plate Chiller

Without a pump .... what is the best way to clean / sanitize a plate chiller?

I will be using a hop bag (pvc thingy resting on brew kettle) and possibly a secondary straining device on the valve inlet; hopefully most of the gunk will stay in the kettle.

For those of you with plate chillers, what is your cleaning and sanitizing process?

Old 12-28-2010, 04:04 PM   #2
lschiavo
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 935 Times on 626 Posts
Likes Given: 741

Before I got my pump, I would gravity feed some cleaner (PBW or oxy) through the chiller. I let that sit for a while then at the sink with garden hose, flush the chiller both directions with hot water. I then used compressed air to blow the water out, flush again, blow again ect... A lot of gunk comes out with the compressed air.

Now, with a pump, I circulate cleaner through the whole system for a while but still use compressed air to blow the chiller out.

edit - sanitizer can be gravity fed through before your wort.