Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Dunkelweizen Recipe Question

Old 12-28-2010, 01:54 AM   #1
balzern
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Dunkelweizen Recipe Question

Hey everyone,

Please let me know what you think of this tentative Dunkelweizen recipe!

5 Gallon Batch 60 min boil:

OG 1.055
SRM 21
IBU 12.6
5.5 ABV

I was going to steep the grains at 150-155 F for 30 minutes then proceed with the LME at boil.

6 lbs Wheat LME
2 lbs Munich malt (grain)
6 oz Weyermann Chocolate Rye malt (grain)
4 oz Carafa III Dehusked (grain)

1 oz Hallertauer pellets 60 minutes

Wyeast Weihenstephan Weizen (3068)

Thanks and Cheers!

Bottled: The Jabberwock - Cascadian Dark Ale, The Innkeeper British Bitter, Northern France Session Farmhouse Ale, Dunkelweizen, 19th Century Robust English Porter, English Brown Ale, American Cream Ale, Spiced Winter Ale

"All for brew. Brew for all."

Old 12-28-2010, 06:45 AM   #2
Skyforger
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

This looks pretty good! It has a pleasing simplicity. The two things I would look at are

1. Roughly 80% of fermentables are coming from wheat LME. If the LME you use is pure wheat, that may be a bit much....traditionally, dunkelweizens are made from 50-70% wheat. This wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, I suppose; judge according to how you like your dunkelweizens.
2. Careful with Carafa III! It's nice stuff, smooth, but will add a dark roasted malt character to the beer - a bit stout-like, maybe. Again, fine if you want that flavor, but not quite on-style.

Both of these thoughts come from considerations of how 'in-style' you are. How much they matter to you depends on how close to the classic dunkelweizens you want to be. Frankly, I think the recipe as-is could be really good - a sort of dunkelweizen in sharp profile, if you will. I quite like the idea of using the chocolate rye; it could complement the yeast's spiciness nicely. Kind of like the Quebecois beer 'Coup de Grisou:'

http://www.united-nations-of-beer.co...isou-beer.html

Old 12-28-2010, 07:10 AM   #3
indigi
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've never seen a Wheat LME that had more than 75% wheat extract in it. He's probably safe in that department.

For a dunkelweizen I'd cut the Carafa III and try to use a darker Munich(in the 15-20L range). You'll get plenty of color and roast from the chocolate rye. I think the Carafa III would be adding too much roast and color. It'd probably taste good, but like Skyforger said, not exactly to style.