Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > Useing fridge guts to make cold chamber?

Old 12-28-2010, 01:16 AM   #1
Butcher
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Useing fridge guts to make cold chamber?

Almost 10 years ago I had looked into building a bar and found plans that involved taking the working parts out of a refrigerator and transplanting them to the bar so you could keep your kegs and bottles cold. I am interested in building a small bar again and have an extra fridge that I could tear the guts out if there is an efficient way of making this work.

Old 12-28-2010, 02:11 AM   #2
JKoravos
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 22

You could certainly do it, but it's got to be a major PITA. It's probably easier to buy a used chest freezer that fits under the bar.

Old 12-28-2010, 02:49 AM   #3
Mista_Sparkle
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

yeah. Unless you are an experienced AC tech or something, I would stay away from transplanting the insides of a regular fridge.

If you had a solid state (Peltier) fridge, you wouldn't have to worry about breaking any coolant lines etc. The electronics may be more complicated, but that sort of thing can be fixed a lot of times with a soldering iron.
Primary #1+Auxiliary: Burning River Pale Ale clone
Primary #2: empty
Primary #3: EdWorts Apfelwein #4
Conditioning/Drinking:Brewers Best Belgian Tripel, Apfelwein #3, EdWorts Apfelwein #2, Cranapple Wine, Routers Share Network Closet Strong Scotch Ale, McCormack's Old Malt Oatmeal Stout

Old 12-28-2010, 02:58 AM   #4
HexKrak
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I've seen a build thread around here somewhere where a guy used the guts from a mini fridge to make a ferm chamber so it's definitely possible, but I'll echo the AC tech sentiment. Without that knowledge and tools it'll be near impossible, not just a big PITA.

If you do decide to go ahead and give it a go. Take lots of pictures and report back!
Primary #1: Empty
Primary #2: Empty
Primary #3: Imperial Oatmeal Stout
Bottle Conditioning/Drinking: Brown Porter, Pale blonde session ale