Pitch yeast in secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

victoriarugby

Reaction score
I think I may have killed my yeast. I got in a big hurry trying to make it to my moms Christmas party and I pitched my yeast at about 115 degrees f. Can I pitch yeast into my secondary when I move from my primary to my carboy?

Have you taken a hydrometer reading to know whether or not you really killed your yeast. If you really did, and wanted to pitch yeast, there's no reason to rack to secondary (in fact nowadays there is little reason to rack to secondart any way) just chuck the yeast in primary.

But please, first make sure with a hydrometer there's anything really wrong. Especially if it hasn't been 72 hours yet.

I didn't get a reading, my cylinder I planned on using was too short, I'm a noob idiot and wasn't completely prepared. Its not showing any co2 action and has been in the primary since Christmas eve. Btw, I have the proper equipment on order. I was thinking I could get a reading when I moved to my secondary and see how far off it was from the suggested starting gravity. Thanks for helping me out.

Then you don't know if you don't have fermentation or not. All you really know is that your airlock isn't bubbling, and that is NOT the same as fermentation. A lot of new brewers think.

Read this....https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/no-visible-fermentation-28278/#post2495520

You can use the cylinder the hydrometer came in to take a reading in. A lot of folks do.

You can also peak to see if you have a krausen. But an airlock often doesn't bubble, and fermentations still happennig. Equating fermentation and airlock bubbling is the most common new brewer mistake.

Thanks. Yea, I read that just a noob freaking out. Thanks for the help, I'm gonna just leave it be at least another 7 or 8 days before I move it.

Wow Revvy, those are the shortest posts on these topics I've ever seen you make! :D
You feeling ok?

Seriously though, I would trust rev on this vitoriarugby. The man knows of what he speaks and I have never been dissapointed by following his advice!

Wow Revvy, those are the shortest posts on these topics I've ever seen you make! :D
You feeling ok?

Seriously though, I would trust rev on this vitoriarugby. The man knows of what he speaks and I have never been dissapointed by following his advice!

Well I've already answered these questions 4 times in the last 40 minutes or so, and with hbt constantly crashing with all the new brewers on tonight I thought it best to just link what's already been posted.

Cheers!

I thought the slow response time was just my machine, almost relieved to hear it's not!

Maybe I'll log off for a while to free up some band width and allow you to get back to saving us noobs from ourselves!

:mug:

Yea, sorry for the repost, I should have read more first, I apologize and do really appriciate the help. I went ahead and cracked the top of my fermenter and there is a really thick krausen, relieved. Thanks guys

Back