Equally Obnoxious Hockey Trash Talk Thread, eh? - Page 722 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Equally Obnoxious Hockey Trash Talk Thread, eh?

Old 01-10-2013, 02:22 PM   #7211
MeatyPortion
Internet Bartender
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2009
Madison, WI
Liked 404 Times on 319 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudius View Post
I've still never seen Slapshot. Its on my list. I really liked The Goon.
If you liked Goon then I think you'll like Slapshot. Plus the clothes are hilarious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtkratzer View Post
I've never seen Goon and prefer Slap Shot over Youngblood.

I had to tolerate the Mighty Ducks for hockey movies being an early 80s baby. That was pretty much...awful.
I've actually never seen any of the Mighty Ducks movies. Just no interest whatsoever in seeing those and it's odd because I always liked the Bad News Bears but for some reason Emilio Estevez supervising a bunch of kids on skates never appealed to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
Naah, need to though. Honestly though watching slapshot, the humor is seriously of the times, and the younger folk dont find some of the things funny that the older ones would. I like the movie, but trying to get somebody younger to watch it is like getting them to take out the trash...
Interesting. I'm trying to get my nephew to watch it. My BiL and I discovered on Xmas that the kid hadn't seen it yet so we're trying to address the issue.
murr
Kegged
I have kegs?

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Old 01-10-2013, 03:15 PM   #7212
jtkratzer

Recipes 

Oct 2010
Lititz, Pennsylvania
Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatyPortion View Post
If you liked Goon then I think you'll like Slapshot. Plus the clothes are hilarious.

I've actually never seen any of the Mighty Ducks movies. Just no interest whatsoever in seeing those and it's odd because I always liked the Bad News Bears but for some reason Emilio Estevez supervising a bunch of kids on skates never appealed to me.

Interesting. I'm trying to get my nephew to watch it. My BiL and I discovered on Xmas that the kid hadn't seen it yet so we're trying to address the issue.
Yeah, well, product of the timing of my birth. It's my parents' fault. I was 9 or 10 when that came out and playing hockey in Minnesota...If you were much older than that in 1992, it wouldn't have been appealing and it was what I remember as the beginning of the family movie that was kind of kid oriented but had a story that the parent(s) might be able to tolerate. They've come a long way with the Shrek and Madagascar and the like now that I'm 30 and have young kids watching those. The adult humor sprinkled throughout some of these animated movies is comical.

Old 01-10-2013, 04:04 PM   #7213
jtkratzer

Recipes 

Oct 2010
Lititz, Pennsylvania

So the Flyers are apparently interested in the Luongo experience. Weird how they're drawn to guys that have "issues" like a moth to a flame.

Buying out Bryz, after less than two seasons...I'm just shaking my head in disbelief at this. This is going to work wonders for the dude's fragile psyche and confidence.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413187

Old 01-10-2013, 04:11 PM   #7214
Barnzy02
Recipes 

Aug 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Liked 25 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
So the Flyers are apparently interested in the Luongo experience. Weird how they're drawn to guys that have "issues" like a moth to a flame.

Buying out Bryz, after less than two seasons...I'm just shaking my head in disbelief at this. This is going to work wonders for the dude's fragile psyche and confidence.

Homer stated this was BS ... but he loves speaking in half truths.

Honestly, i like Bryz, and granted his season was far from stellar, it wasn't nearly the catastrophe it's constantly made it out to be.

The thing i'm looking forward to least about hockey starting ? Flyers beat writers writing again, cannot stand any of em.

Keg - PennsPorter - Vanilla Porter
Keg - Rye Pale Ale

Pennsport Brewing

Old 01-10-2013, 04:11 PM   #7215
paulster2626
Recipes 

Aug 2011
Ontario, Canada
Liked 337 Times on 226 Posts

Quote:

Bryz to the Leafs, Greasy Bob to the Flyers, and ??? to Van****ty?

Stranger things have happened!

Old 01-10-2013, 04:18 PM   #7216
jtkratzer

Recipes 

Oct 2010
Lititz, Pennsylvania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnzy02 View Post
Homer stated this was BS ... but he loves speaking in half truths.

Honestly, i like Bryz, and granted his season was far from stellar, it wasn't nearly the catastrophe it's constantly made it out to be.

The thing i'm looking forward to least about hockey starting ? Flyers beat writers writing again, cannot stand any of em.
Even good old Tim Pinanc?

Old 01-10-2013, 04:33 PM   #7217
jtkratzer

Recipes 

Oct 2010
Lititz, Pennsylvania

Reading a season preview to kill time before lunch and saw this stat:

Quote:
Bryzgalov played in his native Russia during the lockout -- he had a 2.13 goals-against average and .913 save percentage for CSKA Moskva.
I'm starting to get doubtful about Bryz. Even these numbers, if you plug them into last seasons results, that's 7th in the league for GAA and tied for 23rd on SV%. I think most of the Orange & Black would be pleased with those numbers compared to his 2.48 GAA and .909 SV% from last year, but I think a lot of this is going to do with the defense more than Bryz's individual performance. He finished 32nd last year in SV%...that's like Mark Sanchez's 31st QB ranking, as a starter, and there's only 30 teams.

There were 11 goalies at .920 or better last year, and St Louis had two of them. Luongo and two others missed it by .001.

On the 1554 shots Bryz faced last year, if he were at .920, that's 17 fewer pucks getting by him, and that's nearly 0.3 goals per game lower.

Is he capable with the team in front of him?

Old 01-10-2013, 05:04 PM   #7218
Barnzy02
Recipes 

Aug 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Liked 25 Times on 17 Posts

Bryz started off really, really, really poorly in Russia and ended with a pretty strong finish with like 3-4 straight wins.

The way i look at Bryz, last season was a roller coaster, there were endless distractions, new team, our awful media that loves starting needless drama, HBO/Winter Classic, and on and on.

He was awful at times, specifically on first shots and the shootout, but if you look at what he accomplished during the month of March, he was unreal.

Had he not chipped a bone in his foot and missed the last few weeks leading into the playoffs, who knows what happens. He was also one of, if not, our best players during the NJ series, that's overlooked because of the Clarkson goal debacle though.

You know the Philly media are dicks when one of the first questions they ask, before there is even an official practice, is if bryz is "worried about being bought out after the season." TOTAL HACKS.

Keg - PennsPorter - Vanilla Porter
Keg - Rye Pale Ale

Pennsport Brewing

Old 01-10-2013, 05:06 PM   #7219
Goofynewfie
Recipes 

May 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Liked 312 Times on 207 Posts

I don't know why so many people are hating on Bryz. last year was not his best year, but if you look at his stats and average them over the last few years compared to other goaltenders it's not as bad as you'd think. and his numbers last year weren't that bad anyway, just the expectations on him were so high. if the Flyers by him out I bet there is probably 15 or 20 other teams that would love to have him. I wouldn't mind seeing him go to the Oilers

Old 01-10-2013, 06:15 PM   #7220
jtkratzer

Recipes 

Oct 2010
Lititz, Pennsylvania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnzy02 View Post
Bryz started off really, really, really poorly in Russia and ended with a pretty strong finish with like 3-4 straight wins.

The way i look at Bryz, last season was a roller coaster, there were endless distractions, new team, our awful media that loves starting needless drama, HBO/Winter Classic, and on and on.

He was awful at times, specifically on first shots and the shootout, but if you look at what he accomplished during the month of March, he was unreal.

Had he not chipped a bone in his foot and missed the last few weeks leading into the playoffs, who knows what happens. He was also one of, if not, our best players during the NJ series, that's overlooked because of the Clarkson goal debacle though.

You know the Philly media are dicks when one of the first questions they ask, before there is even an official practice, is if bryz is "worried about being bought out after the season." TOTAL HACKS.
I'm with you on the media, and I know what you mean about the big picture. If we look at some of the pieces that put that big picture together...if he doesn't have the month of March that he did, his numbers are absolutely abysmal.

Take out his entire month of March, not just the good games, and his stat line looks like this:

23-14-6, 2.78 GAA, .898 SV%, 2 SO.

Leave in the three games in March where he was below .900 (.875, .846, .714), and you get this for the season:

24-16-6, 2.81 GAA, .895 SV%, 2 SO

2.81 is tied with Emery for 34th, and there wasn't a goalie below .900 on the stats list last year.

While those 10 games in March (13 total) drastically improved his numbers and it seems most guys do have hot and cold streaks throughout the year, they weren't even 1/4 of his play time.

It seems he's capable in flashes, but the lack of consistency is my concern. At 32 years old, I don't think we should still be talking about potential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofynewfie View Post
I don't know why so many people are hating on Bryz. last year was not his best year, but if you look at his stats and average them over the last few years compared to other goaltenders it's not as bad as you'd think. and his numbers last year weren't that bad anyway, just the expectations on him were so high. if the Flyers by him out I bet there is probably 15 or 20 other teams that would love to have him. I wouldn't mind seeing him go to the Oilers
A couple hot flashes of extraordinary doesn't really make up for months of mediocrity. It was a team failure in the playoffs, but a 3.47 GAA and SV% of .887? Maybe it's different if they get the wins, but that's only a perspective, the numbers are the same. I'd have been thrilled if they won the Cup, but that doesn't mean the excitement would carry into this year. He was better against NJ, but 3 of the 5 games were at .900 or below.

I think he's got himself in a spot where the pressure might be worse this year than last year. Even without the talk of buying him out or Luongo interest, real or imagined, he knows the results weren't good enough for the first year of that contract, and he has to know people want improvement.