Equally Obnoxious Hockey Trash Talk Thread, eh? - Page 702 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Equally Obnoxious Hockey Trash Talk Thread, eh?

Old 12-07-2012, 02:11 PM   #7011
solbes
Recipes 

Jul 2011
Ramsey & Akeley, Mn
Liked 237 Times on 217 Posts

Oh my, what a bunch of clowns on both sides. I don't think I've ever seen an announcement saying a deal was immenent. And then returning to the podium to say sides are so far apart that they are no longer talking. The sky must be red or purple on their planet.

Empty seats is what both sides deserve, even though we won't have the pleasure of seeing it happen.
Primary #1: Umlaut my Kölsch VII #2: Empty
Secondary #1
: Empty #2: Empty #3: Cab MerMarqeNac Wine
Kegged
: Mugged a Monk Paters
Bottles
: Dark Belgian Strong, Black Raspberry Rhubarb wine, RIS, Carmel Apple Cider, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Barolo Wine, Berry Rhubarb Wine, Black Currant wine
On Deck: BGSA

Old 12-07-2012, 06:12 PM   #7012
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2007
Huntington Beach
Liked 609 Times on 404 Posts

It's a fraggin circus.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:06 PM   #7013
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Liked 5020 Times on 3390 Posts

Well what it comes down to is that the Owners don't care about playing hockey. They only care about taking as much of the pie as they can get.

Bettman himself said that the owners demand "3 or 4 things". They can work with the players on the other things. Nobody wants to negotiate with ultimatums like that.

It's not really a bargaining process. That would imply there is some give and take from both sides. Players aren't gaining a single thing from this. It's not like they are giving up 7% of revenue and getting something in return. Just maybe less of a buggering in some other area.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:59 PM   #7014
paulster2626

Recipes 

Aug 2011
Ontario, Canada
Liked 337 Times on 226 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Well what it comes down to is that the Owners don't care about playing hockey. They only care about taking as much of the pie as they can get.

Bettman himself said that the owners demand "3 or 4 things". They can work with the players on the other things. Nobody wants to negotiate with ultimatums like that.

It's not really a bargaining process. That would imply there is some give and take from both sides. Players aren't gaining a single thing from this. It's not like they are giving up 7% of revenue and getting something in return. Just maybe less of a buggering in some other area.
Bettman and the owners believe that the things they are asking for are necessary for the future sustainability of a 30-team league.

They also want the CBA to be 10 years so we (fans) don't have to go through this any time soon.

Please explain to me how these players are getting buggered. They made 57% of revenue last season. That's $1.8 billion. No expenses, just payment. The NHL as a whole made $250 million after paying for, well, everything.

You tell me who's getting buggered in that situation.

Also please tell me what the League has TO give the players. As in, what could they possibly offer? More revenue sharing to keep teams afloat and thus keep more players employed? Well they did that. Increased perks like private hotel rooms? They did that, too. Honoring all the existing contracts? Yup. They said they'd do that as well.

For what it's worth (nothing?) I think we'll have a deal next week. Fehr just wants to make sure he's squeezed every last drop of frustration out of Gary Bettman. The sides are soooo close on a deal, neither of them could be stupid enough to throw it all away. Right???

Old 12-08-2012, 05:58 AM   #7015
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Liked 5020 Times on 3390 Posts

If that's Fehr's goal then we'll be here forever. Bettman is a bottomless source of frustration.

Those things you mentioned the owners were giving to the players were things that they took away at the start of the negotiations. It's not like the players are anywhere near gaining. They are still losing badly.

The league has no interest in finding other ways of making money for themselves with the portion they receive. They took 25% just the last contract and ended up in worse shape than ever even when you add their portion of the massive increase in revenue.

It's time they got serious about ending the lockout. At this point it's all about Bettman saving face. He came on camera spitting and sputtering mad about the union taking their concession and wanting to move on to the next provision. That's negotiating. Did he expect them to suddenly roll over on all the other provisions? If so then he is even more ignorant than people think.

He's in a tough spot. The union can disband and sue if it comes to that. Then the league can hire scabs and replacements if it dares. Not sure how that would work out as far as fans go. That's like someone taking the engine out of your 550 HP sports car and replacing it with an L4 Chevy.

I just started to wonder if the league planned on cutting ticket prices if they end up getting a certain amount of concessions from the players. They might be able to afford to attract more fans to the arenas if they spend less on player salaries and perks...

I bet that's what they are trying to do. Make games more afordable for the fans. Yeah. That's it.

Old 12-08-2012, 03:30 PM   #7016
Leeds1
Recipes 

Apr 2011
Gettsyburg, PA

A 30 team league isn't viable, contraction would a good thing for the NHL.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:52 PM   #7017
emjay

Recipes 

Jan 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Liked 1719 Times on 1606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeds1
A 30 team league isn't viable, contraction would a good thing for the NHL.
It would have been a good thing if they didn't expand so aggressively in the first place, but to go back and contract the league would be utterly disastrous for MANY parties - MANY players, MANY owners, MANY teams, MANY fans, and even MANY other businesses.

This is probably as extreme a case of "easier said than done" as it can possibly get.

paulster2626 Likes This 
Old 12-09-2012, 12:53 AM   #7018
paulster2626

Recipes 

Aug 2011
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
If that's Fehr's goal then we'll be here forever. Bettman is a bottomless source of frustration.

Those things you mentioned the owners were giving to the players were things that they took away at the start of the negotiations. It's not like the players are anywhere near gaining. They are still losing badly.

The league has no interest in finding other ways of making money for themselves with the portion they receive. They took 25% just the last contract and ended up in worse shape than ever even when you add their portion of the massive increase in revenue.

It's time they got serious about ending the lockout. At this point it's all about Bettman saving face. He came on camera spitting and sputtering mad about the union taking their concession and wanting to move on to the next provision. That's negotiating. Did he expect them to suddenly roll over on all the other provisions? If so then he is even more ignorant than people think.

He's in a tough spot. The union can disband and sue if it comes to that. Then the league can hire scabs and replacements if it dares. Not sure how that would work out as far as fans go. That's like someone taking the engine out of your 550 HP sports car and replacing it with an L4 Chevy.

I just started to wonder if the league planned on cutting ticket prices if they end up getting a certain amount of concessions from the players. They might be able to afford to attract more fans to the arenas if they spend less on player salaries and perks...

I bet that's what they are trying to do. Make games more afordable for the fans. Yeah. That's it.
You said it's the players who are giving everything - the owners are offering no concessions. I agree with this, but please tell me what exactly the owners have to offer. What could they offer?

Also I'm curious as to how much cheaper you think ticket prices should get to attract fans to places like Phoenix and Tampa.

Old 12-09-2012, 03:09 PM   #7019
dudius

Recipes 

Sep 2012
Big Rapids, MI
Liked 62 Times on 50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post

You said it's the players who are giving everything - the owners are offering no concessions. I agree with this, but please tell me what exactly the owners have to offer. What could they offer?

Also I'm curious as to how much cheaper you think ticket prices should get to attract fans to places like Phoenix and Tampa.
Well teams like the LA Clippers have $11 tickets.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:24 PM   #7020
paulster2626

Recipes 

Aug 2011
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudius View Post
Well teams like the LA Clippers have $11 tickets.
Do you know how much tickets are in Phoenix? Tickets as low as $20, and that's face-value. They're even cheaper from scalpers. I bought 2 tickets that would have cost $185 each in Toronto for $25 each in Phoenix. And the place is 1/2 full, and they have a great team.

Do you know how much tickets are in Tampa? Upper bowl is $20 as well.

Are you telling me that it's the fact that tickets are $5-10 too much that people don't show up? Point is these teams exist and they aren't going anywhere. It's best for the League and the NHLPA to figure out a way where these teams can exist and not bleed money all year. That's what the owners are trying to do.