Equally Obnoxious Hockey Trash Talk Thread, eh? - Page 502 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Equally Obnoxious Hockey Trash Talk Thread, eh?

Old 04-18-2012, 05:22 AM   #5011
MeatyPortion
Internet Bartender
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2009
Madison, WI
Liked 404 Times on 319 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay View Post
Me too, actually. I went to the same high school as him and knew his brother... Guy was a douche.

The last semester I was there, Stamkos was a freshman. Kid was actually a total nerd, but I'm glad to see how well he's done.
Torres has the appearance of someone whose IQ is second to that of a brick.
murr
Kegged
I have kegs?

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Old 04-18-2012, 06:43 AM   #5012
wildwest450
Recipes 

Dec 2007
Liked 173 Times on 158 Posts

Looks like the Wings are getting Rinned to death, see you dickholes next year.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:49 AM   #5013
jtkratzer

Recipes 

Oct 2010
Lititz, Pennsylvania
Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts

Can't believe it's only 4 games for Asham. He didn't hit the face first, but that's only because he's legally an inch above the classification of a hobbit.

And only one game for Neal who had two hearings?

Hopefully the Flyers take care of business tonight and they are effectively suspensions for the rest of the season.

EDIT: apparently Shanny bought Neal's BS excuse that he left his feet to lessen the force of the impact because he couldn't avoid Cooter. What a joke. He avoided his own teammate and could have simply turned into the offensive zone, you know, where the puck was during his entire sequence or events.

Shanahan is officially a turd. These suspensions, just like the regular season, are idiotic and completely inconsistent. There's no rhyme or reason to the criteria used to punish anyone. Backstrom with a cross check to the head gets him one game. Asham got 3. Neal is a repeat offender and got one game for two separate incidents. Nothing on Weber?

This really is absurd. This isn't about a single series, it's the entire season and the piss poor job the disciplinarian is doing.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:29 AM   #5014
jtkratzer

Recipes 

Oct 2010
Lititz, Pennsylvania
Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts

Florida must be taking notes from the Flyers...coming back from an 0-3 hole in Game 3 by dominating special teams, 3 for 3 on the power play and winning 4-3.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:51 PM   #5015
copyright1997
Recipes 

Jul 2011
Albany, NY
Liked 46 Times on 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtkratzer View Post
Florida must be taking notes from the Flyers...coming back from an 0-3 hole in Game 3 by dominating special teams, 3 for 3 on the power play and winning 4-3.
Yea, the Florida game was nice to watch...since my team wasn't the one losing the comeback.

Last n brews: (P=Primary) (K=Keg) (B=Keg->Bottle)
7/26: Flower Power(P) 6/13: Rolling Rock (K), 6/09: Yooper's Pale Ale (K), 5/27: Columbus IPA (K), 5/17: Victory Hop Devil (K), 5/15: Summit MO SMASH (K), 5/12: Sierra Nevada Celebration (K), 5/03: Schwartzbeir (B) 4/10: Birch Beer (Soda) (K), 3/31: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (B), 3/25: Belgian Ale (SWMBO slayer) (B), 3/21: mrbowenz English IPA (B), 3/17: Mirror Pond Ale (K), 3/17: Blue Moon's "Old Country Cousin" (B), 3/15: Sculpin IPA (B),

Old 04-18-2012, 12:56 PM   #5016
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Liked 4765 Times on 3217 Posts

Weber has been a good little boy since his warning though. Apparently with all of the suspensions handed out during the season, players STILL feel the urge to go after each other's heads. It's almost like a real old time hockey game out there. Except I don't remember there being so many cheap shots when I was younger.

Wings had moments of WTF last night. But, they have been playing pretty well and Rinne has been incredible. Let's hope the Pred don't have a massive let down after they beat the Wings and get pounded by the next opponent...

Old 04-18-2012, 01:00 PM   #5017
copyright1997
Recipes 

Jul 2011
Albany, NY
Liked 46 Times on 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtkratzer View Post
Shanahan is officially a turd. These suspensions, just like the regular season, are idiotic and completely inconsistent. There's no rhyme or reason to the criteria used to punish anyone. Backstrom with a cross check to the head gets him one game. Asham got 3. Neal is a repeat offender and got one game for two separate incidents. Nothing on Weber?

This really is absurd. This isn't about a single series, it's the entire season and the piss poor job the disciplinarian is doing.
While I'd say that he (Shanahan) has a difficult job and it is impossible to always "get it right", the whole thing seems to be spiraling out of control. The suspensions and fines given certainly haven't seemed to reduce the issue...just look at the playoffs so far.

I've come to the opinion (formed over time) that the fines and suspensions are way too short. If a team lost a player for 10 games it starts to have a significant impact, but 1 or 2 (or even 4) doesn't. Or maybe the teams bench should have to play short if someone is suspended...now THAT would have a real impact on perceptions of these on a team.

I hope I don't bring up yet another round of Matt Cooke bashing on this, but his 10 game suspension (including the playoffs) was enough to have an effect...and might have even cost Pittsburgh the series with Tampa. Cooke (this season) has been the model citizen.

Last n brews: (P=Primary) (K=Keg) (B=Keg->Bottle)
7/26: Flower Power(P) 6/13: Rolling Rock (K), 6/09: Yooper's Pale Ale (K), 5/27: Columbus IPA (K), 5/17: Victory Hop Devil (K), 5/15: Summit MO SMASH (K), 5/12: Sierra Nevada Celebration (K), 5/03: Schwartzbeir (B) 4/10: Birch Beer (Soda) (K), 3/31: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (B), 3/25: Belgian Ale (SWMBO slayer) (B), 3/21: mrbowenz English IPA (B), 3/17: Mirror Pond Ale (K), 3/17: Blue Moon's "Old Country Cousin" (B), 3/15: Sculpin IPA (B),

Old 04-18-2012, 01:12 PM   #5018
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Liked 4765 Times on 3217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997 View Post
While I'd say that he (Shanahan) has a difficult job and it is impossible to always "get it right", the whole thing seems to be spiraling out of control. The suspensions and fines given certainly haven't seemed to reduce the issue...just look at the playoffs so far.

I've come to the opinion (formed over time) that the fines and suspensions are way too short. If a team lost a player for 10 games it starts to have a significant impact, but 1 or 2 (or even 4) doesn't. Or maybe the teams bench should have to play short if someone is suspended...now THAT would have a real impact on perceptions of these on a team.

I hope I don't bring up yet another round of Matt Cooke bashing on this, but his 10 game suspension (including the playoffs) was enough to have an effect...and might have even cost Pittsburgh the series with Tampa. Cooke (this season) has been the model citizen.
I agree. A couple of games are a slap on the wrist. The league has to balance the fans desire to see the players playing, and providing an effective deterrent.

I think Shanny has been doing pretty good considering, but there has been enough inconsistency to cause players to ignore the rules. IF the penalty was extreme enough, then maybe we could get back to some hard, legal hits, and of course fighting should be allowed. Just get rid of the dirty and cheap hits that could actually injure a player.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:20 PM   #5019
Barnzy02
Recipes 

Aug 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Liked 25 Times on 17 Posts

IMO, the problem comes from suspensions being based on outcome and not intent.

It's kind of ridiculous, I mean, if someone 'tries' to take someone's head off but misses ... ah, no big deal ... no one got hurt.

It's a dangerous line to be walking, they need to make a statement to the players that the borderline and dangerous hits are suspendable, no matter the outcome.

Until then, it's not going to change. Look at Matt Cooke, he hasn't taken a major penalty all year, no suspensions, fines and he was the worst in the league.

The league needs to make an example out of Torres and let the players know that these types of plays will not be tolerated. There needs to be some sort of respect amongst the players as well.

I don't want to see the physical aspect of the game diminished, and it's obviously ratcheted up even more in the playoffs, but at the same time the league can't keep losing star players for extended periods of times.

It's one thing to key on a guy and put clean, legal checks on a guy when he has the puck or when you're finishing a check. But hitting a guy who is away from the play and the puck when he isn't looking is just flat out dangerous and stupid.

Keg - PennsPorter - Vanilla Porter
Keg - Rye Pale Ale

Pennsport Brewing

Old 04-18-2012, 01:43 PM   #5020
FreshZ
Recipes 

Dec 2011
St. Louis, MO
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnzy02
IMO, the problem comes from suspensions being based on outcome and not intent.

It's kind of ridiculous, I mean, if someone 'tries' to take someone's head off but misses ... ah, no big deal ... no one got hurt.

It's a dangerous line to be walking, they need to make a statement to the players that the borderline and dangerous hits are suspendable, no matter the outcome.

Until then, it's not going to change. Look at Matt Cooke, he hasn't taken a major penalty all year, no suspensions, fines and he was the worst in the league.

The league needs to make an example out of Torres and let the players know that these types of plays will not be tolerated. There needs to be some sort of respect amongst the players as well.

I don't want to see the physical aspect of the game diminished, and it's obviously ratcheted up even more in the playoffs, but at the same time the league can't keep losing star players for extended periods of times.

It's one thing to key on a guy and put clean, legal checks on a guy when he has the puck or when you're finishing a check. But hitting a guy who is away from the play and the puck when he isn't looking is just flat out dangerous and stupid.
I couldn't agree more about outcome vs. intent. But I think we are all prey to that. The torres hit was bad, but not vicious, not from behind, and not that late. If Hossa hadn't been stretchered off, it wouldn't have warranted conversation. Yes, he left his feet, but some of that is momentum. Yes it was also late, but only a second or 2 after he passed. Once again, if Hossa wasn't injured on the play, I think somebody on Chicago would have pounded Torres and that would have been that.

I'm not defending Torrres that much, but I think we're being hypocritical talking about how big the suspension should be while saying it should be intent and not results.
Bottled: Cali Common, I.P.K., CTZ SMaSH yeast experiment, FUBAR IPA, Barleywine, Columbus Day Milk Stout, Narwhal ESB...
On Deck: Domaine DuPage clone, Heady Topper clone, Oaked Imp. Stout