Equally Obnoxious Hockey Trash Talk Thread, eh? - Page 269 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Equally Obnoxious Hockey Trash Talk Thread, eh?

Old 12-06-2011, 04:27 PM   #2681
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2007
Huntington Beach
Liked 608 Times on 403 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerRoss View Post
They just made room for 2 more expansion teams.
Hmmm, maybe this is the long term plan; allow Hamilton a team but force them to play out west.

Old 12-06-2011, 04:29 PM   #2682
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2007
Huntington Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997 View Post
Sigh. Am I the only one who actually likes inter-divisional play? From a Penguins fan perspective, it gets old watching the Rangers, Islanders, Philadelphia, devils and now Capitals & Canes. I think it would have been much more interesting to mix it up more along the lines of the NFL or MLB. Wouldn't it be better for fans if the Rangers and Flyers could meet each other in the Stanley Cup Finals? Or Pittsburgh and Washington? Or Montreal and Boston? Or Detroit and San Jose?

I understand the travel issue, but doesn't baseball have a similar problem, and they seem to deal with it just fine. (Yes, I know they play a series which helps, but they still have a lot of travel.)

+ n to the x

Old 12-06-2011, 04:43 PM   #2683
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2007
Huntington Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay View Post
Seriously? This was a move to appease the *WEST COAST* teams.

Edit: Oh. You're still going on about the 8 teams vs 7 teams, aren't you? It really doesn't confer any real advantage for anything that matters, which is exactly why you don't see any serious complaining about it - other than from some misguided fans, I suppose.
Appease the West Coast teams? Did you have blotter for breakfast? The boys out west will travel like sunzabvtches regardless of the divisional line ups. This realignment is all about catering the whiny little bvtch owners back east.

As for the 7 vs 8 team divisions, the math is quite simple. Teams playing in a conference where only three teams miss the playoffs have a significant advantage over teams playing in a division where 4 teams miss out.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:08 PM   #2684
solbes
Recipes 

Jul 2011
Ramsey & Akeley, Mn
Liked 237 Times on 217 Posts

I don't think the 7 vs 8 is that big of a deal. Yes you might squeak by a tad easier in the group of 7, but you will still need to beat the number 1 seed to advance. It would be a bigger deal from a financial perspective if you were an owner that got to reap the benefits of a few extra playoff games that would be otherwise missed.

Geographically this makes a lot more sense than the old alignment. East Coast already had it cushy with the exception of travel to Winnipeg and the 2 Florida teams.

This alignment helps the Western conference teams IMO. Remember its not just travel distance, it's Time Zones. How many stupid 9 or 9:30 starts do I have to watch as a Wild fan? Okay maybe I should man up on that. But its also about letting kids watch games which is almost impossible with the current setup for 1/3 of the games. It was a matter of getting the minimum votes from the more profitable East Coast teams to make it a reality. See linkey below for old vs new maps:

How the NHL will look next year; realignment map… | Section 303
Primary #1: Umlaut my Kölsch VII #2: Empty
Secondary #1
: Empty #2: Empty #3: Cab MerMarqeNac Wine
Kegged
: Mugged a Monk Paters
Bottles
: Dark Belgian Strong, Black Raspberry Rhubarb wine, RIS, Carmel Apple Cider, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Barolo Wine, Berry Rhubarb Wine, Black Currant wine
On Deck: BGSA

Old 12-06-2011, 05:39 PM   #2685
Boleslaus

Recipes 

Aug 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
Liked 24 Times on 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo7 View Post
Appease the West Coast teams? Did you have blotter for breakfast? The boys out west will travel like sunzabvtches regardless of the divisional line ups. This realignment is all about catering the whiny little bvtch owners back east.

As for the 7 vs 8 team divisions, the math is quite simple. Teams playing in a conference where only three teams miss the playoffs have a significant advantage over teams playing in a division where 4 teams miss out.
All the news leading up to this made it seem like it was done for Illich and the Wings, who were "promised" a move back to the east.

On Tap: Rocketsauce IPA, Party Ride Wheat
Fermenting: Meet Your Maker Stout, Big Ring DIPA

Old 12-06-2011, 06:01 PM   #2686
copyright1997
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Jul 2011
Albany, NY
Liked 46 Times on 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by solbes View Post
The map is great, and really shows that there could have been a "south" (e.g. Panthers, Lightning, Predators, Stars, Hurricanes, maybe Blues or Coyotes) or "central" (teams like Chicago, Detroit, Columbus, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, maybe Nashville) that would make more sense than what they came up with.

Last n brews: (P=Primary) (K=Keg) (B=Keg->Bottle)
7/26: Flower Power(P) 6/13: Rolling Rock (K), 6/09: Yooper's Pale Ale (K), 5/27: Columbus IPA (K), 5/17: Victory Hop Devil (K), 5/15: Summit MO SMASH (K), 5/12: Sierra Nevada Celebration (K), 5/03: Schwartzbeir (B) 4/10: Birch Beer (Soda) (K), 3/31: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (B), 3/25: Belgian Ale (SWMBO slayer) (B), 3/21: mrbowenz English IPA (B), 3/17: Mirror Pond Ale (K), 3/17: Blue Moon's "Old Country Cousin" (B), 3/15: Sculpin IPA (B),

Old 12-06-2011, 06:02 PM   #2687
copyright1997
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Jul 2011
Albany, NY
Liked 46 Times on 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boleslaus View Post
All the news leading up to this made it seem like it was done for Illich and the Wings, who were "promised" a move back to the east.
It really helps Detroit and Dallas.

Last n brews: (P=Primary) (K=Keg) (B=Keg->Bottle)
7/26: Flower Power(P) 6/13: Rolling Rock (K), 6/09: Yooper's Pale Ale (K), 5/27: Columbus IPA (K), 5/17: Victory Hop Devil (K), 5/15: Summit MO SMASH (K), 5/12: Sierra Nevada Celebration (K), 5/03: Schwartzbeir (B) 4/10: Birch Beer (Soda) (K), 3/31: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (B), 3/25: Belgian Ale (SWMBO slayer) (B), 3/21: mrbowenz English IPA (B), 3/17: Mirror Pond Ale (K), 3/17: Blue Moon's "Old Country Cousin" (B), 3/15: Sculpin IPA (B),

Old 12-06-2011, 07:07 PM   #2688
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2007
Huntington Beach

Quote:

I find that funny.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:21 PM   #2689
Boleslaus

Recipes 

Aug 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
Liked 24 Times on 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo7 View Post
I find that funny.
As in you don't believe it?

On Tap: Rocketsauce IPA, Party Ride Wheat
Fermenting: Meet Your Maker Stout, Big Ring DIPA

Old 12-06-2011, 11:45 PM   #2690
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2007
Huntington Beach

Quote:
As in you don't believe it?

As in Illych, that whiny, shvtty pizza makin', poofter, doesn't get his wish.