Hops mix/blend - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Hops mix/blend

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2010, 05:27 PM   #11
BreckBastion
Recipes 
 
May 2009
Marysville, Washington
Posts: 181
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by SchlazzGraft View Post
If you end up blending, maybe add them all to a ziplock and break up the pellets with a rolling pin and shake. That way, you would know you have an even mix and your ibus will be easier to match with the average aa.
That's a great idea and you could say with certainty what you have for IBUs.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 06:46 PM   #12
mrgreen4242
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Grand Ledge, MI
Posts: 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchlazzGraft View Post
If you end up blending, maybe add them all to a ziplock and break up the pellets with a rolling pin and shake. That way, you would know you have an even mix and your ibus will be easier to match with the average aa.
That's a pretty good idea, I'll have to try and see how much they work it takes to get them to crumble.
__________________
Primary: None
Secondary: None
Kegged: Jack the Ripper London Ale Redux, Blue Moon Clone
Bottled: Must-Go APA, Mint Chocolate Stout
All gone: Jack the Ripper London Ale, Silver Dollar Cream Ale, Graff, Strawberry Wheat, "777" Rye IPA, Pomegranate Pilsner, Deer Camp Ice American Ale (19% ABV), Cream of Three Crops Ale, Pumpkin Spice Ale
Up Next: Something like Aprihop and/or Magic Hat #9

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:43 PM   #13
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Golddiggie's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Posts: 11,995
Liked 496 Times on 431 Posts


You could also opt to measure each hop into enough parts so that you can add the correct amount of each during each addition. I have a scale that goes down to 1/8 ounce increments, so I could measure out 1/8 increments of the Centennial, then 1/8th increments (or as close as you can get) of each of the remaining hops (such as 3/8 oz increments of Hallertauer and 1/4 oz increments of Tettnang) so that you add even amounts of each during the adds. I know that leaves some 'left over' but you could add more at the start of the boil, or for the first two additions, then go with the rest spaced out. That would give you more precise additions, and allow you to repeat the recipe later, or more easily alter it. I know this will require a little more work on the front end, but I think you'll end up with a better result at the end.

You will have to tell us how this comes out, and which method you end up using for adding the hops. Of course, post up the complete recipe so that we can see what else you're planning on doing.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:16 PM   #14
mrgreen4242
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Grand Ledge, MI
Posts: 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
You could also opt to measure each hop into enough parts so that you can add the correct amount of each during each addition. I have a scale that goes down to 1/8 ounce increments, so I could measure out 1/8 increments of the Centennial, then 1/8th increments (or as close as you can get) of each of the remaining hops (such as 3/8 oz increments of Hallertauer and 1/4 oz increments of Tettnang) so that you add even amounts of each during the adds. I know that leaves some 'left over' but you could add more at the start of the boil, or for the first two additions, then go with the rest spaced out. That would give you more precise additions, and allow you to repeat the recipe later, or more easily alter it. I know this will require a little more work on the front end, but I think you'll end up with a better result at the end.

You will have to tell us how this comes out, and which method you end up using for adding the hops. Of course, post up the complete recipe so that we can see what else you're planning on doing.
I'm going to mix and do nearly continuous additions. I did a quick test and crushing the pellets might be too much of a chore, as will weighing and sorting them into little batches. I'll try a few other things to see if they break up more though (they're surprisingly resilient)!

Here's what I have so far (note, 3.5gal batch):
MustGo APA

Style: American Pale Ale OG: 1.050
Type: All Grain FG: 1.011
Rating: 0.0 ABV: 5.11 %
Calories: 163 IBU's: 46.11
Efficiency: 75 % Boil Size: 4.50 Gal
Color:*** 5.7 SRM** Batch Size: 3.50 Gal
Boil Time: 60 minutes
*
Fermentation Steps
Name Days / Temp
Primary 10 days @ 68.0F
Secondary 7 days @ 72.0F
Bottle/Keg 14 days @ 74.0F
*
Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Gravity Color
0.50 lbs 7.69 % Vienna Malt 1.036 3.5
0.25 lbs 3.85 % Carafoam 1.033 2.0
0.50 lbs 7.69 % Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L 1.034 40.0
5.25 lbs 80.77 % Pale Malt (2 Row) US 1.036 2.0
*
Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
0.50 ozs 9.68 Must Go Blend 60 mins 3.92
0.50 ozs 9.20 Must Go Blend 50 mins 3.92
0.50 ozs 8.49 Must Go Blend 40 mins 3.92
0.50 ozs 7.44 Must Go Blend 30 mins 3.92
0.50 ozs 5.86 Must Go Blend 20 mins 3.92
0.50 ozs 3.51 Must Go Blend 10 mins 3.92
0.50 ozs 1.93 Must Go Blend 5 mins 3.92
1.00 ozs 0.00 Must Go Blend 0 mins 3.92
1.50 ozs Dry Must Go Blend 7 days 3.92
*Edit: might move the flameout addition to .5 oz and up the dry to 2 oz, what do you all think?
Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
1.0 pkg Nottingham Danstar

Mash Profile
Light Body Infusion 60 min @ 150.0F
*Add 8.12 qt ( 1.25 qt/lb ) water @ 162.0F
Light Body Infusion 10 min @ 168.0F
*Sparge 12.00 qt of 175.0F water over 10 mins
*
__________________
Primary: None
Secondary: None
Kegged: Jack the Ripper London Ale Redux, Blue Moon Clone
Bottled: Must-Go APA, Mint Chocolate Stout
All gone: Jack the Ripper London Ale, Silver Dollar Cream Ale, Graff, Strawberry Wheat, "777" Rye IPA, Pomegranate Pilsner, Deer Camp Ice American Ale (19% ABV), Cream of Three Crops Ale, Pumpkin Spice Ale
Up Next: Something like Aprihop and/or Magic Hat #9

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:32 AM   #15
indigi
Recipes 
 
Jul 2010
Philadelphia
Posts: 438
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Honestly I wouldn't bother with the 50-30 minute additions. You're not going to get any flavor or aroma from them, and if you move them to 60 and every 5 minutes from 20-0 you'd get a lot more bang for your buck.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:53 PM   #16
mrgreen4242
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Grand Ledge, MI
Posts: 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigi View Post
Honestly I wouldn't bother with the 50-30 minute additions. You're not going to get any flavor or aroma from them, and if you move them to 60 and every 5 minutes from 20-0 you'd get a lot more bang for your buck.
Took your advice, and I'm brewing the following RIGHT NOW. I combined the hops and smashed them with a rolling pin. Didn't pulverize them, but broke them up into ~1/4 of the original pellet size. Ok, gotta go collect my first runnings!

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Gravity Color
0.50 lbs 7.69 % Vienna Malt 1.036 3.5
0.25 lbs 3.85 % Carafoam 1.033 2.0
0.50 lbs 7.69 % Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L 1.034 40.0
5.25 lbs 80.77 % Pale Malt (2 Row) US 1.036 2.0

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
1.50 ozs 29.03 Must Go Blend 60 mins 3.92
0.75 ozs 8.79 Must Go Blend 20 mins 3.92
0.75 ozs 5.26 Must Go Blend 10 mins 3.92
0.75 ozs 2.89 Must Go Blend 5 mins 3.92
0.75 ozs 0.63 Must Go Blend 1 mins 3.92
1.50 ozs Dry Must Go Blend 7 days 3.92

Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
1.0 pkg Nottingham Danstar
__________________
Primary: None
Secondary: None
Kegged: Jack the Ripper London Ale Redux, Blue Moon Clone
Bottled: Must-Go APA, Mint Chocolate Stout
All gone: Jack the Ripper London Ale, Silver Dollar Cream Ale, Graff, Strawberry Wheat, "777" Rye IPA, Pomegranate Pilsner, Deer Camp Ice American Ale (19% ABV), Cream of Three Crops Ale, Pumpkin Spice Ale
Up Next: Something like Aprihop and/or Magic Hat #9

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is Acid Blend the same as wine Acid Blend? jrohan Recipes/Ingredients 2 11-07-2009 05:27 AM
Best hops to blend with Summit? Duster72 Recipes/Ingredients 2 04-23-2009 01:05 PM
Can you only blend it or can you make it? hagbardceline Recipes/Ingredients 0 08-01-2008 03:23 AM
What to blend beeraggie Recipes/Ingredients 3 01-21-2008 05:07 PM
IPA / Porter blend BrewBee Recipes/Ingredients 5 06-09-2006 06:10 PM


Forum Jump