Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Advice on yeast to replace kit

Old 12-27-2010, 12:00 AM   #1
lazaah
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Advice on yeast to replace kit

Hello, new to the forums and also new to making my own booze!

My first attempt I did not use a kit but tried from frsh fruit. Unfortunately the fermentation was not sucsessful, so 2nd time round I would like to use a kit.

Im looking to make a high strength apple cider. About 10% would make me very happy. Im looking at this kit Here. Unfortunately it only produces about 5%, I understand if I bumped up the dextrose another 1.5kg I would get closer to 9%, BUT, can anyone advise me if the yeast will stand up to this? If it would, do I just add more dextrose everyday until the extra is used?. If not could anyone advise a yeast more suited for my needs, or even point me in the direction of another quality kit?

Thanks heaps,
Lazaah

Old 12-27-2010, 12:05 AM   #2
BigB
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazaah View Post
Hello, new to the forums and also new to making my own booze!

My first attempt I did not use a kit but tried from frsh fruit. Unfortunately the fermentation was not sucsessful, so 2nd time round I would like to use a kit.

Im looking to make a high strength apple cider. About 10% would make me very happy. Im looking at this kit Here. Unfortunately it only produces about 5%, I understand if I bumped up the dextrose another 1.5kg I would get closer to 9%, BUT, can anyone advise me if the yeast will stand up to this? If it would, do I just add more dextrose everyday until the extra is used?. If not could anyone advise a yeast more suited for my needs, or even point me in the direction of another quality kit?

Thanks heaps,
Lazaah
I don't make cider, but I have heard from many brewers that any ale yeast will do fine up to 10% because there is nothing but simple sugars in cider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew
It's now degenerating into nu uh and uh huhs and it no longer serves a point.

Old 12-27-2010, 12:14 AM   #3
lazaah
Recipes 

brilliant, thank you for the quick reply!

an additional question, is it possible to use too much yeast?

Old 12-27-2010, 05:51 PM   #4
BigB
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Sure, its possible to overpitch, but the effects in a cider would be negligible. Even in a beer where you were looking for a very specific flavor profile, the results wouldn't be bad, just lacking in character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew
It's now degenerating into nu uh and uh huhs and it no longer serves a point.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:17 AM   #5
indigi
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'd make sure to pick up some kind of yeast nutrient to add when you pitch to make sure they're nice and healthy so they don't give up.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:29 PM   #6
lazaah
Recipes 

would the kit not come with nutrients?

Old 12-29-2010, 12:48 AM   #7
indigi
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

It might or it might not. One of my local shops puts a little baggie with an ounce or so of yeast nutrient in their store-made kits, but none of the prepackaged/boxed kits I've ever bought have, and neither have the Northern Brewer kits I've ordered. You should be able to pick up a tube of Wyeast's nutrient at any homebrew shop, and that'll last a nice, long time.

Old 12-29-2010, 02:22 AM   #8
maddprofessor
Recipes 

Sounds like you want to make this:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/man-...felwein-14860/

Old 12-29-2010, 07:20 AM   #9
lazaah
Recipes 

Mmm I cant remember what brand yeast i used in my first/previous ferment, unfortunately it didnt end up fermenting haha! is there a general guide to how much to use? (an oz to 28L?)

My previous attempt at brewing resulted badly, hench why Im going for a kit so I dont have to figure out what fruitjuice I can use locally or prepare fruit. Apfelwein is on the list to brew for sure though!

Old 12-29-2010, 03:57 PM   #10
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 421 Times on 374 Posts
Likes Given: 7

28L is about 7 US gallons. 1 pack of yeast should be OK (around half an ounce). I think a standard pack is usually about 11 grams.

I never use nutrient and it works OK. I don't know if nutrient makes it ferment faster or not.