Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > How to get the best hop aroma from flameout additions?

Old 01-31-2013, 05:01 AM   #101
SilverZero
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobdee

Thanks, lots of interesting info. What about a Hop Shot? I wonder if this is basically a more potent hop tea?
Lagunitas' Hop Stoopid uses hop extract (according to the bottle label I just read). It's got nice aroma and good flavor, I'd be happy if my latest IPA comes out with the same levels.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:08 AM   #102
Francis
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Great thread! Brewing an IPA this weekend and I'm thinking about lowing my 60min addition, doing 1oz @ 10 and 5, and 3 @ Flameout. Too bad brewing calculators don't adjust your IBU's (even if it's a small amount) for the flameout additions.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:01 AM   #103
AnthonyCB
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverZero View Post
Lagunitas' Hop Stoopid uses hop extract (according to the bottle label I just read). It's got nice aroma and good flavor, I'd be happy if my latest IPA comes out with the same levels.
Quite a few craft brewers are using hop extract for bittering since it reduces the amount of hop material in the kettle. I don't believe that any of them are using it for late additions since it is essentially pure alpha-acid without any of the oils which contribute flavor or smell. Feel free to use it for early boil additions but stick to pellets and cones for aroma.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:44 AM   #104
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 380 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Hop extract is a bittering addition. Nothing to do with this thread.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:50 AM   #105
kingwood-kid
Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Northern Brewer says, "HopShot is CO2-extracted hop resin that can be used for bittering or late additions to boiling wort — treat it just like leaf or pellet hops added during the boil." Hoptech.com has 8 different hop extracts, from a generic bitter to a variety of single-hop varieties.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:13 AM   #106
KaSaBiS
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I cooled my wort down to 170 then threw 1 oz of cascade/colombus each for my first time. flavor and aroma kick ass (also did a flameout, 5 and 15 min though so not a control to base from) but I will say my beer has a huge haze im not used to seeing. I am assuming it is from the "rapid dryhop" effect of my 170 had. any thoughts?
I just got a Mr Beer kit and want to brew a Double Imperial Blueberry Heffy Witesit....we have no air conditioning and live next to the sun...do you think I can logger and bottle this in time for a party I will be having next week?

Old 02-13-2013, 09:04 PM   #107
TheHairyHop
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Subscribing.

Also to add my input, FO hop additions with no cooling would, to me, result in little to no added benefits. You aren't isomerizing for any flavor or bittering and the oils will be pushed out in the primary. A decent steep makes sense if you want to add anything to the beer.

Being at 9000+ ft means I'm pretty close to 180 degrees to begin with! So I'm going to have to give an experimental IPA a shot

Old 02-13-2013, 09:20 PM   #108
feinbera
Recipes 

Liked 175 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Well, I'll throw my experiment on the pile.

Just brewed a five-gallon 1.063 IPA last weekend, with the following schedule:

- 1.0 oz Chinook @ 60
- 0.4 oz Cascade, 0.6 oz Citra @ 20
- 0.2 oz Cascade, 0.3 oz Citra @ 10
(flame out, chill to 180)
- 0.6 oz Cascade, 0.9 oz Citra, steep at 180-ish for 45 minutes
(chill the rest of the way to pitching temp)

Haven't tasted anything but the unfermented wort, or started on the 2 oz I plan on dry hopping with, but the bathroom where my fermentor sits reeked of sweet, sweet hops all through the active phase of fermentation, so, I'm optimistic the steep served me well...

@KaSaBiS - mine was also super-murky going into the fermentor... I'm hoping it'll drop at least somewhat clear before I rack over to secondary, and I plan on setting aside a half-gallon to secondary in a separate container without the dry hops... guess time will tell...

Old 02-13-2013, 10:54 PM   #109
JKaranka
Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 20

@feinbera: are you going to dry hop? sounds pretty good as it is!

Old 02-13-2013, 11:06 PM   #110
feinbera
Recipes 

Liked 175 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Yup.

This is my fourth attempt at an IPA, the previous three having come out mostly tasty but not as hoppy as I was hoping for, so, I'm really pulling all the stops out, here.

But I do plan on holding back that half-gallon in a growler "mini-secondary" without, just to do a solid A/B comparison on the dry hop contribution (and if the rest of the beer comes out even hoppier for using the same dry hops on half a gallon less beer, win-win!)