Hard Cider beginnings and problems - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Hard Cider beginnings and problems

Closed Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 06:59 PM   #1
countethelred
Recipes 

Dec 2010
Evansville, Indiana

I was recently browsing the web and stumbled upon an easy recipe for some home-brew hard cider. I love cider and I enjoy alcohol so I thought I would look around for a more detailed instruction set. I am completely new to brewing and I tried to start with pure respect for process. I used a recipe that clearly stated the quality would not be as great if I would use higher quality materials more designed for the brewing. I used 1 gallon of 100% cider UV pasteurized with no preservatives, 1 package of active dry bakers yeast, about 3/4 a cup of sugar, and 1/2 cup warm water to activate yeast. I began by sterilizing anything I would be using with either boiling water or alcohol. I activated the yeast with warm water for 10 minutes in a glass cup with a teaspoon of sugar. It doubled in size and cooled when I added it to the gallon of cider and sugar mixture. I then shook the mixture to aerate it very well and made sure everything was mixed. I put an airlock on the two bottles and put them in my cool dark closet. I took them out an hour later just to check them and it appeared the yeast had all settled to the bottom. I am curious if this will affect my fermentation? The yeast was activated as I could tell by all the foaming and doubling in size. Should I just keep mixing it till it starts to bubble? Thanks to all who are willing to read and help!

Old 12-26-2010, 07:03 PM   #2
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2007
Omaha, NE
Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts

You need to be of legal drinking age to be on this forum. Come back when you are legal and we will be happy to help you.

Old 12-26-2010, 07:59 PM   #3
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Southwest
Liked 792 Times on 505 Posts

What Nurmey said. Please come back and visit in April.

Closed Thread