Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Growing hops in the South (esp. Georgia)

Old 05-09-2011, 07:24 PM   #11
br1dge
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Congrats on the hops. I just planted mine about 3 weeks ago and they have started out strong. Ill be interested to see how yours do. I chose Cascade, Centennial and Chinook to start and am looking to add one more type this year. My pics of my trellis will be up soon as I just put the posts in the ground this weekend.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:36 PM   #12
mbischoff
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I am just south of Atlanta, and the Cascade and Horizon has done well. They have about 4 hours of direct sunlight per day (from about 2 - 6 pm.). I have heard the cascade flavor/aroma is way different than northwest grown hops. Anyone that can confirm?

Old 12-17-2012, 06:59 PM   #13
PaulandSara
Recipes 

Default Hello, I've got a proposition.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleJeepXJ View Post
You will have a hard time growing here in GA. Only give your hops 6-8hrs of sun and don't let the topsoil dry out. Our GA heat is a bitch when trying to grow hops.

Hey,
I'm my name is Sara and I was wondering if you'd possibly be interested in meeting up sometime to maybe trade some ideas, and teach me a little about what you know. My roommate brews beer on the reg, but we've never tried to grow hops, and being from S.W. Georgia we're a little wary of the heat in the summer. Get back with me if you're interested in helping some fellow Georgians. you can e-mail me directly at absintheforthemasses@hotmail.com

Old 12-18-2012, 04:50 AM   #14
ShepFL
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I would like to piggy back on this thread. I am in N. FL / S. GA line (W of Jax). I would like to grow some hops but as you said I am thinking heat would be to much. I plant my spuds at Valentines Day and everything out of the fields by 4th of July i.e. corn, beans, maters etc.
shepfl at gmail dot com

Old 12-23-2012, 03:23 PM   #15
Jamminjoenapo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepFL View Post
I would like to piggy back on this thread. I am in N. FL / S. GA line (W of Jax). I would like to grow some hops but as you said I am thinking heat would be to much. I plant my spuds at Valentines Day and everything out of the fields by 4th of July i.e. corn, beans, maters etc.
shepfl at gmail dot com
I grew cascade last year and they took off. I grew them in an earthtainer which made it easy to not let dry out. Tons of water and not a full day of sun and they will grow. Hell they are weeds and can grow about anywhere.