Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > F-I-L Asks If I Could Make Miller Lite

Old 12-24-2010, 03:15 PM   #21
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Oh, come on- brew one for him. Prove to yourself and him that you can do it. Then give it all away if you don't want it. You can make an all-grain batch of an American Light Lager for under 15 bucks, yeast included:

Fizzy Yellow Beer for the Masses

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 12-24-2010, 03:16 PM   #22
Ace_Club
Legendary Influential Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1855 Times on 1735 Posts
Likes Given: 52842

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinhomebrew View Post
Why is that stupid? I have respect for both but the beer snobs say "How can you drink that it doesn't have any flavor". It is not the purpose of the beer.
Flavor in this case is completely subjective. It is the purpose of the beer in question. That's the whole point of the style.

"Flavor: Crisp and dry flavor with some low levels of grainy or corn-like sweetness. Hop flavor ranges from none to low levels. Hop bitterness at low level. Balance may vary from slightly malty to slightly bitter, but is relatively close to even. High levels of carbonation may provide a slight acidity or dry "sting." No diacetyl. No fruitiness."

It can easily be said that high-alcohol brews (barleywines, RIS, etc.) are done as vehicles for drunkenness. To simply deride the BMC style with an offhanded comment like that is naive, regardless of what the beer snobs say.

My internet friends were making fun of my kegdolly and I took it out on Gary. - Ginger
Revvy Likes This 
Old 12-24-2010, 03:19 PM   #23
Ace_Club
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Saved you some digging.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/book...8/#post1708508

WHat I was referring to earlier about the cost of Bud and why they used rice

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/ya-h...4/#post2118759
Thanks! I'll have to check that out.

My internet friends were making fun of my kegdolly and I took it out on Gary. - Ginger

Old 12-24-2010, 03:24 PM   #24
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2867 Times on 1696 Posts
Likes Given: 3510

Quote:
You can make him a can of Coopers lager in about 5 minutes. 6 gallons of smooth nothingness. Keep him happy and don't waste hours making it.

Forrest
Or how about one of these kits?

AHS American Light Lager

AHS American Malt Liquor Lager

AHS American Rice Lager

I won't make any comments about making money off of a style that you quite vehemently despise.

You could stand up higher to your guns, and refuse to sell any kits for that style of beer.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-24-2010, 03:26 PM   #25
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2867 Times on 1696 Posts
Likes Given: 3510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
Oh, come on- brew one for him. Prove to yourself and him that you can do it. Then give it all away if you don't want it. You can make an all-grain batch of an American Light Lager for under 15 bucks, yeast included:

Fizzy Yellow Beer for the Masses
I will say that is not too far astray from my own cream ale, though I will say that your total grain weight, is usually what I use in a 2.5 gallon batch.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-24-2010, 03:58 PM   #26
Ace_Club
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post

I won't make any comments about making money off of a style that you quite vehemently despise.

You could stand up higher to your guns, and refuse to sell any kits for that style of beer.
Or maybe he should redo the website to have two categories: Flavored Beer Kits and Un-flavored "I Wanna Get Drunk" Beer Kits.

Old 12-24-2010, 04:31 PM   #27
rjwhite41
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I will say this is the most civilized discussion of BMC I have seen on here. I just tell people who ask me about making miller lite that it is an incredibly difficult style to brew because any flaws will be apparent. So, if I can't make that style of beer near as good as them then I would just buy it. It makes them feel superior enough to never ask me again and I don't really care what they think of my beer. I know plenty of beer snobs that love my beer. I am however considering stepping up to the challenge and trying to make one this year.

Old 12-24-2010, 05:18 PM   #28
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn

Recipes 

Liked 749 Times on 546 Posts
Likes Given: 590

Quote:
I believe there are 2 types of beer.
1. Virtually flavorless. Meant to be used as an alcohol delivery system.
2. Beer that is full of flavor. Consumed for the flavor
Forrest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_Club View Post
Flavor in this case is completely subjective . . . To simply deride the BMC style with an offhanded comment like that is naive, regardless of what the beer snobs say.
I think that where Forrest went wrong was saying, “there are 2 types of beer.” What he should have said is that there are two types of beer drinkers. Those who are looking for a alcohol delivery system and those looking for flavor (plus alcohol. )

Sure, there are drinkers who have experienced the wide variety of beer styles that are available and enjoy BMC beers. To imply that anything but a very small minority of BMC drinkers fall into the flavor seeking category is naïve and just argumentative on your part. I have no data to prove it, but I think it’s safe to say that the large majority of BMC drinkers are happy to drink an ice cold, flavorless, yellow, fizzy drink for the purpose of catching a buzz.

To try to cater your brewing to patronize this type of drinker is an interesting experiment, but beyond that, if it’s not a style that you enjoy, you’re wasting valuable brew time.

Old 12-24-2010, 05:37 PM   #29
Austinhomebrew
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_Club View Post
It can easily be said that high-alcohol brews (barleywines, RIS, etc.) are done as vehicles for drunkenness. To simply deride the BMC style with an offhanded comment like that is naive, regardless of what the beer snobs say.
It could be said about barley wines but no one says that and it is not really true.

I am not deriding BMC style beers. They are the chosen style when you want to drink a 12 pack. 78% of the beer consumed in Texas is Bud light, Miller light, or Coors light.

Old 12-24-2010, 06:07 PM   #30
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsbeer View Post
I know my father in law only drinks High Life Light...

He then asks me "Could you make something like Miller Lite?". Now, instead of calling him a douchebag supreme for asking me this question...
I think I figured out where you went wrong.