Making the switch to all grain - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Making the switch to all grain
Cool Brewing Corny 5G & Mini Giveaway
Sign-up To NEW HBT Article Newsletter - Brewing Articles Direct To You!

Old 12-23-2010, 02:44 AM   #1
davidamerica
Recipes 

Default Making the switch to all grain

So far brewed 7 batches of extract brews but want to make the switch to all grain. Been to youtube, different sites and heard of different ways to brew all grain and different types of equipment you can by or make at your home to do the job. Does anyone have any reccomendations of where I can go and get a good set of instructions on how to get started with all grain brewing? Let me know.

Thanks

davidamerica

Old 12-23-2010, 03:14 AM   #2
JBrady
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

www.howtobrew.com should have everything that you need. Section 3 is all about brewing your first all grain beer.

Bottled: Janet's Brown, Session Dry Stout, Yellow Fly Cream Ale

Gallons Brewed In 2011-40

Old 12-23-2010, 06:44 AM   #3
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 3

an easy start is to BIAB (brew in a bag) since you don't need any extra equipment (although I do recommend a large SS sieve for draining) beyond a large straining bag. basically just scale this to AG: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy...ng-pics-75231/

Old 12-23-2010, 07:11 AM   #4
Haputanlas
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcp27 View Post
an easy start is to BIAB (brew in a bag) since you don't need any extra equipment (although I do recommend a large SS sieve for draining) beyond a large straining bag. basically just scale this to AG: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy...ng-pics-75231/
Agreed, It's what I do and I'll never look back. Very simple, easy to clean up, and shorter brew days.

Primary: Viking Metal, Berliner Weisse
Kegged: Oaked English Mild, Modus Hoperandi
Bottled: None
Notable Empties: Oaked Black IIPA, BBK I, Red IIPA, Burning Bush, Apophis "The Destroyer", Vanilla Porter
On-Deck: Hobbit Ale, The Titan BW, Ale of Olympus

Old 12-23-2010, 08:31 AM   #5
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 491 Times on 427 Posts
Likes Given: 266

I'm using the BIAB method for grain... I did my first mostly grain brew on Monday (3 pounds of DME, 10 pounds 2 Row plus specialty grains)... Only issue I had was my pots are only 5 gallons (have two)... BUT, today I re-found my 70 quart cooler (was in the basement) which I'll be using for my mash/sparge tun moving forward. That should keep me going until I'm ready to start making 10 gallon batches..

Get a large cooler (10 gallon or larger) to use for the mash/sparge and you'll be a lot happier. If you do it in your kitchen (which I've been doing) I would also use old towels on the floor to keep cleanup to a minimum.

Old 12-23-2010, 12:33 PM   #6
Burgs
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

This is a very good read:

http://www.suebob.com/brew/Bobby_Mallgrainprimer.pdf

Old 12-23-2010, 11:34 PM   #7
El_Exorcisto
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Pick up a turkey fryer. The 30 quart pot is big enough to do five gallon batches of your normal gravity beers when doing BIAB. I did my first bag last night, after having done a bash of brewing with 3 vessels in smaller batches. I'm never going back to the headache, BIAB for LIFE!!!

Old 12-23-2010, 11:52 PM   #8
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 80

The are a lot of ways to do it from BIAB to the automated brew systems. Brew in a bag is the cheapest way to start. I just took some pis of a 2 gallon batch I made that way. It's simple, uses only one pot and leaves very little to clean up. It's also no sparge that can make higher quality wort.

I use a Coleman xtreme 52 qt MLT.

I boil in a cheap SS 60 qt pot.

I took a bunch of pics on a brew day way back with my old five gallon water jug MLT.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f85/just...ew-day-114658/

Old 12-24-2010, 12:02 AM   #9
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 491 Times on 427 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Conroe,

What size fittings did you use on your Coleman Xtreme cooler? I have the 70 quart (green ) model that I'll be using moving forward.

I cannot get any more pots just yet, so I'm using what I have on hand (two 20qt, one 16qt, plus a few 8 and 8-1/2 qt pots)... Once I'm working again, I'll be getting a large pot for boiling with (32-40 qt, no need for a 60 quart just yet)...

Old 12-24-2010, 12:12 AM   #10
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 80

I used 3/8. I'm not sure of the nipple's length. I think it's about the smallest they had. I have a 70 now too. I found it lost in the middle of a back road. I might convert it sometime but the 52 has been exactly the right fit for me so far.