NOW OPEN! HBT 2011 BJCP Competition - Page 51 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > NOW OPEN! HBT 2011 BJCP Competition

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2011, 04:46 AM   #501
ChshreCat
Recipes 
 
Aug 2008
Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 11,538
Liked 538 Times on 431 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen_Brew View Post
Ah. I knew the Cat would rally to the west's defense. No IPA? Well I got 6 horses in the hunt, but I'm bettin you got a brown and maybe a saison going and I don't have anything there. I've got an APA with some New Zealand hops that is kinda nice though. Perhaps you have an APA?
I do happen to have an APA... the one that finished second place in the BOS round last year. Though, I will admit that this batch didn't quite live up to the last few. My dry hop just didn't seem to have it's usual effect. :P

I also have my saison and an English brown and that's it.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 06:34 AM   #502
Zen_Brew
Recipes 
 
May 2009
Seattle
Posts: 1,865
Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts


Well good luck to you AZ and Cat. My IPA and APA just hit the keg a week ago and are nice, but experience tells me the flavor doesn't settle out for a week or two in the keg so they may change a bit more so we'll see how they set up for the contest. Of my other 4, 3 of them placed in the Cascade cup last week, so hopefully they still have some legs for the HBT judging when it comes up. I moved in Oct and did a major upgrade to HERMS on my brew system. The first 3 or 4 batches were learning experiences but I am starting to get it dialed in on the last 5 or 6.


__________________
Primary: German Hef, Belgian IPA, Scottish 80, Belgian Dubbel
On Tap: Oatmeal Stout, Vanilla Oatmeal Stout, Belgian Dark Strong, Munich Dunkel, Dunkel Weizen, Oktoberfest, Bock, IPA, Black IPA, English IPA, Pale Ale

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 02:03 PM   #503
SourHopHead
 
SourHopHead's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2007
Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 728
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Can we get a trophy for the West and our winning IPA? HBT East vs. West IPA challenge?

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk
__________________
FV's- Flanders Red, Munich Helles x2, Apfelwein, Hard Lemonade
SV1- Pumpkin Spice
SV2- Hard Cider
SV3- Empty
Kegs- Green Chili Ale, Watermelon Sour

On Deck: Celebration Ale Clone


"Be Good or Be Gone." EST. 1854
Shazbot Blonde

KingBrianI Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 02:51 PM   #504
ChshreCat
Recipes 
 
Aug 2008
Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 11,538
Liked 538 Times on 431 Posts


Someone is going to have to tabulate how many categories are won by West vs East brewers. Gonna end up like the East coast vs West coast rappers.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 03:25 PM   #505
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
humann_brewing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
the sun
Posts: 15,536
Liked 328 Times on 324 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen_Brew View Post
Ah. I knew the Cat would rally to the west's defense. No IPA? Well I got 6 horses in the hunt, but I'm bettin you got a brown and maybe a saison going and I don't have anything there. I've got an APA with some New Zealand hops that is kinda nice though. Perhaps you have an APA?

hatfieldenator: Yosemite is a wondrous place for certain. Next time you are in Cali pop on down to San Diego and they will feed you some IPA's that will blow your mind. West Coast (insert emoticon with backwards ball cap)
haha, yes we do, also use hops for marinades and rubs

I have an IPA that would fair well but not really to style as it is under gravity and over hopped but that's how I like 'em. Just too bad I picked my entries before I knew I was making it

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 04:39 PM   #506
wildwest450
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Dec 2007
Posts: 9,043
Liked 173 Times on 158 Posts


So you medal whores out there, a question. Do you just have one good recipe that you submit over and over again? Which is fine, just wondering. And with the price of postage, why not just buy a bunch of homebrew medals?

_

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 04:42 PM   #507
Hugh_Jass
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
Posts: 1,972
Liked 39 Times on 38 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
, why not just buy a bunch of homebrew medals?

_
Because buying judges is cheaper.
__________________
Quote:
"My new company is going to sell Aqua-infused(tm), Alphabetamashed(tm), Wortboiled(tm), Multihops Brewed(tm), Saccharomented(tm), Lageriffic(tm) beer. - Bobby_M
Pigs are fantastic creatures. They convert vegetables into bacon.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 04:46 PM   #508
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
AZ_IPA's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2008
The Cold Part of AZ
Posts: 52,022
Liked 8476 Times on 6856 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
So you medal whores out there, a question. Do you just have one good recipe that you submit over and over again? Which is fine, just wondering. And with the price of postage, why not just buy a bunch of homebrew medals?

_
This will be my second time submitting my brown ale. It scored a 45 at the 2010 AZ competition, and I am just looking for confirmation that it's solid and that it the 2010 batch wasn't a fluke (btw; I'm not expecting a 45 again - that would be asinine). Afterall, one of my major goals is to be able to produce consistent batches....

The APA and IPA I'm submitting are new recipes.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 04:52 PM   #509
wildwest450
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Dec 2007
Posts: 9,043
Liked 173 Times on 158 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
This will be my second time submitting my brown ale. It scored a 45 at the 2010 AZ competition, and I am just looking for confirmation that it's solid and that it the 2010 batch wasn't a fluke (btw; I'm not expecting a 45 again - that would be asinine). Afterall, one of my major goals is to be able to produce consistent batches....

The APA and IPA I'm submitting are new recipes.
All 3 of mine are first timers. I'm really not a comp guy, I almost didn't even send these in. Meh, to each their own. And as far as producing consistent batches, you're relying on 2 different sets of strangers to confirm this? Is your mouth broke?

_

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 04:55 PM   #510
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
humann_brewing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
the sun
Posts: 15,536
Liked 328 Times on 324 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
All 3 of mine are first timers. I'm really not a comp guy, I almost didn't even send these in. Meh, to each their own. And as far as producing consistent batches, you're relying on 2 different sets of strangers to confirm this? Is your mouth broke?

_
yep, I was rethinking at the UPS store myself.



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The 23rd Annual 2011 Great Arizona Homebrew Competition wild South West Homebrew Forum 16 05-02-2012 02:52 AM
American IPA Competition at Deland Craft Beer Fest, February 2011 frogguruami South East Homebrew Forum 7 02-11-2011 05:06 AM
Wizard of SAAZ- January 15 2011 - Open to all homebrew beer styles! Mad_Milo Great Lakes Homebrew Forum 18 01-24-2011 04:12 PM
2011 Peach State Brew Off - Homebrew Competition downpantera South East Homebrew Forum 0 01-19-2011 06:09 PM
2011 HBT BJCP Competition now open! Yooper Brewing Events & Local Gatherings 0 01-08-2011 02:02 PM


Forum Jump