NOW OPEN! HBT 2011 BJCP Competition - Page 5 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > NOW OPEN! HBT 2011 BJCP Competition

Old 01-02-2011, 03:20 AM   #41
Wigglyscuds
Recipes 

Oct 2010
Orlando, Florida

Agreed Homercidal and JohnnyO.

The great thing is I just bottled an American Pale Ale where I used only Amarillo hops. It could be a winner and it could be beer. Either way I have beer, right?

Can't wait to sign up and get some feedback on this one and see how it does.

Bottled: Cream Stout (10/23)
Bottled: American Pale Ale (11/27)

Old 01-02-2011, 04:06 AM   #42
JohnnyO

Recipes 

Dec 2008
Hamden, CT
Liked 917 Times on 857 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigglyscuds View Post
Agreed Homercidal and JohnnyO.

The great thing is I just bottled an American Pale Ale where I used only Amarillo hops. It could be a winner and it could be beer. Either way I have beer, right?

Can't wait to sign up and get some feedback on this one and see how it does.
Nice. I did an all amarillo amber this year that didn't turn out so hot. Wasn't the hops fault though. Who brews an amber without any crystal malt? This guy.

Old 01-02-2011, 04:19 AM   #43
DirtyPolock

Recipes 

Jan 2010
Durham, NC
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'm kind of curious as to how I may be able to stack up against some of the brewers here. I did a regional 5 state competition here and got a great score and reviews for my first competition. Now it will be interesting to see how I stack up against some of the HBT greats.

Too bad I'm out of bottles of that brew and my first lager won't be ready by then. I think that I'll send a made up recipe that I brewed a few months ago, plus a new kit that I will make next weekend.

I don't expect to luck out and place in my first two comps, but the comments will be great to read and learn from.
Primary #1: Cascade/Willamette APA
Primary #2: Air
Secondary #1: Belgian Dark Strong

Tap #1: Dubbel Red Balls
Tap #2: Honey Brown Ale
Tap #3: BierMuncher's Outer Limits IPA
Tap #4: Penn Dark Clone 1.0

Conditioning in Kegs: Pollinated porter

Bottled/Drinking: AHS Old School IPA; Apfelwein 1/22/10

Not just any keezer build...It's my keezer build | Don't fear the StarSan Foam, a math explanation

Old 01-03-2011, 12:59 PM   #44
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Liked 5020 Times on 3390 Posts

Grabbed a few bottles to take to a NYE party this past weekend and found the 2 bottles of stout that I had been saving for the competition. Yep, only 2. I've got maybe 4 22 ouncers that I was saving for a special occasion, but there are only 2 12 ouncers left.

My IPA turned out pretty good, but you KNOW there is going to be some very tight competition in that cat. Wasn't the Pale Ale cats like 1/2 of the entries last year?

Old 01-03-2011, 01:04 PM   #45
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Nov 2006
Ohio
Liked 63 Times on 55 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Grabbed a few bottles to take to a NYE party this past weekend and found the 2 bottles of stout that I had been saving for the competition. Yep, only 2. I've got maybe 4 22 ouncers that I was saving for a special occasion, but there are only 2 12 ouncers left.

My IPA turned out pretty good, but you KNOW there is going to be some very tight competition in that cat. Wasn't the Pale Ale cats like 1/2 of the entries last year?
Yooper will be able to tell you for sure, but I think you're about right. IPA's and APA's made up quite a large portion of the overall entries.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:19 PM   #46
SourHopHead

Recipes 

Mar 2007
Albuquerque, NM
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobrewtus View Post
Yooper will be able to tell you for sure, but I think you're about right. IPA's and APA's made up quite a large portion of the overall entries.
25 entries last year for 14A-C.

"Be Good or Be Gone." EST. 1854

Old 01-03-2011, 03:29 PM   #47
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Whitehouse Station, NJ
Liked 1765 Times on 1122 Posts

I'd like to donate a model WLSL weldless sight glass kit as a prize. It's probably easiest to ship directly to the winner so just let me know who that is.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:16 PM   #48
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Liked 5020 Times on 3390 Posts

Oh, hell NOW I'm entering!!

Hope my IPA is still as good by then...

Old 01-03-2011, 08:01 PM   #49
Mischief_Brewing

Recipes 

Jan 2010
Montpelier, VT
Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts

I'm going to keg my sour cherry amber fermented with wine yeast this week. It might be my second entry after the black IPA that I brewed last weekend. I'm hoping the sample is better than its 5-gallon sour cherry-less brother that kicked two weeks ago, which was epic by the way.

Yes, that was my a$$-backwards way of trash-talking...

Old 01-03-2011, 08:16 PM   #50
steinsato
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2010
Santa Fe, NM
Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

subscribed, guess I'll be sending a pm after the 8th.