Fermentation Temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MisterGreen

Reaction score
My basement has been a steady 62 degrees lately. I'm wondering if I could go without the swamp cooler if I pitch around the same temp or a bit higher. I'm going to use Wyeast 1318 which has a range of 64-74. Any thoughts?

You shouldn't need a cooler. You're a little below range, which could theoretically lead to off flavors or slow/stuck fermentation, but I honestly doubt you will have a problem. If you pitch around 65 and an active ferment raises it a few degrees, youll still be fine. You can always move it to a warmer part of the house if necessary.
Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew...

I'm guessing that the heat produced during fermentation will put your actual fermentation temperature right around 64, if the basement is constant at 62. You should be fine, but if you notice the fermentation really lagging, you could always wrap a blanket around the primary.

You'll be fine for fermentation but I would be more concerned about the END of fermentation. The last thing you want is for the temp to drop as the yeast are in cleanup mode.

Buy a $16 heating pad (for injuries) and rig it up to keep temps higher as the beer finishes. These things are great.

You'll be fine for fermentation but I would be more concerned about the END of fermentation. The last thing you want is for the temp to drop as the yeast are in cleanup mode.

Buy a $16 heating pad (for injuries) and rig it up to keep temps higher as the beer finishes. These things are great.

Do those brew belts work?

I recently purchased a brew belt and it definitely works. At 62 I wouldn't worry about it though. Heat from an active fermentation will raise your temperature right where you want to be.

I recently purchased a brew belt and it definitely works. At 62 I wouldn't worry about it though. Heat from an active fermentation will raise your temperature right where you want to be.

That's what I was thinking. And if I need to warm it up I can open the heat registers in the basement. With those open, the basement might get up as high as 68.

That's good that you can add heat to the room.

I'll say that my basement is also around 60-62 right now, and the heat of fermentation is NOT enough to raise beyond 65. And that's with a hard hittin, fast fermentin English ale yeast. I like to ferment at 68 so I have to use a heat pad on low to get it there. Then as fermentation dies I have to boost to high AND wrap a towel around it to achieve 72.

Note: I do the ramp-up in stages so it's not like I'm jumping from 68 to 72 in 2 hours.

Back