Life changes - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Life changes

Old 12-21-2010, 01:18 PM   #1
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 7699 Times on 5411 Posts

If you've been in a long term relationship, you have ups and downs. I've had that with Bob, of course.

Bob retired almost a year ago, and at first it was a very hard adjustment. I was working from home, walking my dog each morning, and having my own routine. But gradually, I came to make new routines and Bob fell into his no-longer-working routine.

It seems like over the last 6 months that we've become closer and we're having more fun together. After 10 years together, I think we're falling in crazy love with each other again. Of course, my kids are grown and gone now and we're much more relaxed without having to work!

I'm retiring, so that we can go south for a portion of the winter. I'm brewing often, and we're spending more time together than ever.

Did you ever do that? Look at your partner and get butterflies after all those years? I'm a little scared about some of my life changes, though.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:19 PM   #2
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2006
Adams, MA
Liked 523 Times on 420 Posts

Nice! I was worried, reading the title of this thread, that things were going in the opposite direction!

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Old 12-21-2010, 01:22 PM   #3
Marko73
Recipes 

Oct 2007
Clayton, North Carolina
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

As the SWMBO and I evolved into different phases of our lives (marriage, first child, second child a year later (yikes!!)) I saw her very differently though each phase. First as a wife, and then as a mother. My feelings evolved right along with our lives. Hers did too. We think about our first year together and we couldn't feel more different about each other now.

I am sure you are scared about the changes coming up, but you are lucky that you are with someone that you really care about and they care about you. That makes life's transitions a 1000 times easier, and a lot more fun.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:36 PM   #4
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Liked 4763 Times on 3215 Posts

I thought you were going to say that Bob was considering getting an operation!

Just kidding. My wife sometimes says that she worries about us when the kids are gone, because we have such different hobbies (Well, I have hobbies and she doesn't...) but frankly, I think that not having the kids around all day is going to make things easier for us in our daily routine and give us more time to do stuff together. Retirement will be that that much better if and when it happens.

I think I'm most looking forward to being able to walk around the house naked.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:52 PM   #5
Jim Karr

Recipes 

Dec 2005
SW Michigan..Bangor/Covert area
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Yoop, to hitchhike on your comments: Karen (the wonderful SWMBO) and I celebrated the 30th anniversary of the night we met just yesterday.

Seems like we're getting crazier about each other, and even the physical part is getting better.

Don't worry about a thing.

"God is great, beer is good, people are crazy." Some country artist

Old 12-21-2010, 08:57 PM   #6
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Jan 2007
St. Louis, MO
Liked 789 Times on 435 Posts

Butterflies? I get some lower intestinal gurgling but a slight lean to my left and it goes away. (Well, not really "away".)

I'm glad to hear that Yoop and hope it is the "norm". I'm married 27 years and have never regretted a minute. Now the wife on the other hand...

Old 12-21-2010, 09:06 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3183 Times on 1883 Posts

God, you scared me....the first couple of paragraphs thought it was bad news.

Glad I was wrong

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-21-2010, 09:09 PM   #8
skinydipper
Recipes 

Sep 2010
Northern VA

Humm - reminds me of teh stages of sex:

Stage 1 - Dating Sex - your young, just started dating, and madly in love with each other. You have sex every time you see each other.
Stage 2 - Married Sex - just got married, sex everday, sometimes several times a day.
Stage 3 - first house sex - sex in the kitchen, living room, on the new sofa, on the floor.
Stage 4 - pregnancy sex - you get to explore new positions you never thought of, and added bonus - no once-a-month weekend off.
Stage 5 - no time for sex - kids are young and keeping you busy. Barely have time to see each other let alone have sex. You master the quickie and the nooner.
Stage 6 - hallway sex - starting to get older, loosing some interest, you meet in the hallway and say "F**k you!"

Old 12-21-2010, 09:11 PM   #9
Mischief_Brewing
Recipes 

Jan 2010
Montpelier, VT
Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts

Wow, I really thought this was going to be about you arguing with Bob about the thermostat....so glad it wasn't!

Old 12-21-2010, 09:14 PM   #10
TheWeeb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2010
Denver, Colorado
Liked 120 Times on 77 Posts

ahhh, well congrats. I am somewhat jaded, nearly three years out of what was going to be a lifetime; difficult even dating as the time it takes to build to the point of forever seems like so much work. Someone once said:

When you are dating, you do everything you can to hide your flaws.
When you are in a relationship, you do everything you can to hide your disappointment.
When you are married, you do everything you can to hide your sins.

I prefer to think of it like this: "We drop out of our mother's womb, crawl across the battlefield under fire, only to fall into our grave."

My cynical, jaded side is pleased that you still get butterflies, Yooper, it gives me hope!

Up Next: Imperial Rhubarb Wheat
Fermenting:
Enjoying: too many odd bottles to list..