Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Skeeter Pee - Starting with Dry Yeast

Old 03-18-2012, 06:42 PM   #201
Bradinator
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnync View Post
Just bottled one gallon of Skeeter pee from dry yeast.
That is gorgeous!

"Beer is pretty resilient stuff, its resistant to human stupidity"

Bradinator's Brews

Old 03-18-2012, 07:29 PM   #202
Captive
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A50SNAKE View Post
ok, just checked my pee...its @ ~0.9 right now, sitting in my pail...been about 1 month I think...man, i gotta take better notes (read take notes period!) should be time to move to carboy now right? and then mix up the sparkaloid and other ingredients to add to it as well?...just wanted to check and make sure still doing it right...thanks.
Sounds like it's done fermenting. Do you have the pail covered, sealed tight, with airlock? If not (if you're in a bucket with just a loose lid or towel), then on your next batch, I would protect it from air when the S.G. gets down to the 1.005 area. Then let if finish without exposure to air. I actually rack my batches to a carboy at around 1.005 and top it with an airlock.

In any event, you sound like you're ready to proceed. Drive off as much of the dissolved CO2 as you can, and then add your last ingredients. If you add any powdered ingredients to a gassy wine, you could get a foamy volcano. At this point, your batch really should be protected for oxygen, so put it under airlock while the Sparkolloid does its work. I usually wait to sweeten my batch until it has cleared and I rack it to a clean carboy.

www.skeeterpee.com

Visit Skeeter Pee on facebook and click the like button
A50SNAKE Likes This 
Old 03-19-2012, 02:55 AM   #203
A50SNAKE
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 117

oh ya, its in a pail, lid on tight and airlock since day one...I was just curious if it needs to go to a carboy or if it can finish in a pail. I have spare carboys so its not really an issue, I was just curious...also, i have a filter, is it suggested to filter this as well?

thanks for the tips and help Captive.

Old 03-19-2012, 02:17 PM   #204
stujol
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I move mine to a carboy some where around 10 to 14 days. Normally it has finished fermenting by then (ec1118)

Filtering is optional, I filter even when it is crystal clear. It really looks good after that and I think it is a little smoother.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:14 PM   #205
Atek
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by stujol
I move mine to a carboy some where around 10 to 14 days. Normally it has finished fermenting by then (ec1118)

Filtering is optional, I filter even when it is crystal clear. It really looks good after that and I think it is a little smoother.
If you don't mind me asking how do you filter?

Old 03-19-2012, 06:20 PM   #206
phuff7129
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 63

My experience getting skeeter pee to ferment with dry yeast has been pretty simple. I made the must per the instructions on skeeterpee.com. I took 2 cups of the must and put it in a sanitized jar, pitched 1 packet Red Star Premier Cuvee and put a loose piece of foil over the jar. Within a few hours the starter was fermenting. I basically left the starter untouched for 2 days while I left the must sitting for 2 days with a towel over the fermenter per the instructions.

After 2 days I pitched the yeast starter, stirred it in, aerated the must again, and put the lid with an airlock on it. Within 3 hours fermentation was going. OG was 1.070.

After 2 more days i checked the gravity and it was 1.048. I added the additional nutrient and energizer per the instructions. It has now been fermenting steady for 6 days and the gravity is at 1.015 so it is getting there.

I have kept the temperature around 70 degrees. I found the process to be pretty simple and had no troubles getting fermentation to start.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:28 PM   #207
Reaver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't use pails anymore myself. I just use 6.5gal carboy and shake it during the 24 hours that I'm letting my Dry Yeast started get going ( I use 2 packs in a light solution of must). And I would not leave the Primary for 1 month. I started getting some Autolysis at the 3 week point of my last batch. This stuff is pretty stressful on yeast. I was using Cotes de Blanc but found the Montrachet worked better all around. Faster Ferment, Cleaner Taste, Cleared Better, More Lemon in the finished product.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:38 PM   #208
ScootersAle
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Thought I had sub'd this thread, but obviously didn't.

I've made a few matches of SP now, using this exact method, and has come out well every time.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:44 PM   #209
geniz
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScootersAle
Thought I had sub'd this thread, but obviously didn't.

I've made a few matches of SP now, using this exact method, and has come out well every time.
Excellent. Thanks for the feedback
It's always worked for me as an option when I want to make SP and dont have a yeast cake.

If Necessity is the Mother of Invention, Laziness is Its Creepy Uncle

Old 03-22-2013, 04:18 PM   #210
SilverZero
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 57

This thread is a bit stale, but I definitely lived here for the past couple of days while I was getting my first SP started so thanks to all the contributors!

I made a 1.5x batch (7.5 gallons, with only one minor hiccup) this week and started it with 2 packs of Red Star Premier Cuvee. I started the yeast yesterday morning, did a couple of must additions - even though I probably could have just added the rehydrated yeast directly to the fermenter, I was waiting for my must to get up to pitching temp from my chilly garage. I just added a tablespoon of sugar to a cup of warm water with a pinch of nutrient and energizer, then sprinkled the two packs of yeast on top and let them rehydrate, then I added 1 cup, 1 cup, and 2 cups of must throughout the morning, letting the starter get foamy between each addition. Yeast was going strong all through the 3 additions I did, so I pitched it yesterday afternoon, and it's got some foam going this morning at 74F. I gave it one more stir with the paint mixer and now I'm just going to watch for 1.050 so I can hit it with the last addition of lemon, nutrient, and energizer. All seems to be going well so far!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Must1.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	109690   Click image for larger version

Name:	Starter1.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	109691   Click image for larger version

Name:	Starter2.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	25.9 KB