Flavor change when bottled - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Flavor change when bottled

Old 12-20-2010, 07:56 PM   #1
Moody_Copperpot
Recipes 

Sep 2010
Bay Village, OH, Ohio
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I posted another thread about the esters I got from Cooper's yeast when fermented even at 63 degrees. I had two other beers in the same place, neither had that problem, but different yeasts were used. Anyway, my question is this. I tried a little glass of the stuff as I was bottling and it was damn good. I couldn't wait to crack one open. So I waited the barebones amount of days, which in this case was under a week. I cracked one open and it was ester city. Why wouldn't it have tasted this way before bottling?

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:02 PM   #2
billtzk
Recipes 

Apr 2007
Dallas
Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts

I'm not really sure why it would become more estery after bottling. Maybe it is just your perception of it that changed? I find that I tend to discount some off flavors at bottling time because I attribute them to being a characteristic of the beer's youth. It is not unusual for me to have a keener perception and more critical palette when opening a bottle several weeks later.

But aging it longer, say a couple of months, may help. I found that to be the case with some of my estery beers.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:06 PM   #3
theonetrueruss
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2010
Woodstock, GA
Liked 50 Times on 36 Posts

I've found that the flavor changes once I add the priming sugar, it seems like it needs to ferment out and clean up.. that takes a few weeks then it tastes right again.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:36 PM   #4
Moody_Copperpot
Recipes 

Sep 2010
Bay Village, OH, Ohio
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Cool, I wasn't sure if it was just my perception of it, or if there was really a slight change. Maybe a little of both!
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.