Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Flavor Suggestions

Old 12-20-2010, 03:38 PM   #1
ASamWitch
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Flavor Suggestions

I racked my first batch of mead in November (6 gallons) and before I bottle I was thinking of taking half (3-1 gallon carboys) and doing some flavors. I would like to do a vanilla/lavender as one (looking for a recipe). Any other ideas/recipes that you would suggest?

Old 12-28-2010, 07:25 PM   #2
ASamWitch
Recipes 

OK, here is what I decided to do. 1 lavender/vanilla (1/2 cup dried flowers-1oz van extract), 1 strawberry (pound frozen) and one chocolate (6oz nestle powder).
Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Old 12-28-2010, 07:30 PM   #3
Atek
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Interesting... Let us know how it turns out. I'm especially curious about the vanilla/lavender and the chocolate. I've always seen vanilla added as the bean. I had 1 mead that called for vanilla extract and it really didnt come through. Though it is still very young.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:45 AM   #4
fatbloke
Recipes 

Liked 182 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atek View Post
Interesting... Let us know how it turns out. I'm especially curious about the vanilla/lavender and the chocolate. I've always seen vanilla added as the bean. I had 1 mead that called for vanilla extract and it really didnt come through. Though it is still very young.
If you use a vanilla pod, then you'll usually get maximum extraction of the colour/flavour.

After all, vanilla extract is made with alcohol to extract the colour/flavour so putting one in a batch is gonna do exactly the same thing, though obviously it'll be a more dilute flavour......

I think you can extract lavender in the same way........ not sure

regards

fatbloke

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!

Old 01-15-2011, 07:53 PM   #5
ASamWitch
Recipes 

Default Update

I bottled these 3 today. The lavender was divine! Strawberry was a bit on the tart side, hopeful it will mellow over time. The chocolate was good but must confess, my least favorite of the three. I will be doing more of the lavender in the near future. May increase the vanilla to 1 1/2 oz.

Mental note: will make sure to eat something before bottling next time. Sampling without food in tummy is a sure fire way to get an early buzz.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:25 PM   #6
Atek
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASamWitch View Post
I bottled these 3 today. The lavender was divine! Strawberry was a bit on the tart side, hopeful it will mellow over time. The chocolate was good but must confess, my least favorite of the three. I will be doing more of the lavender in the near future. May increase the vanilla to 1 1/2 oz.

Mental note: will make sure to eat something before bottling next time. Sampling without food in tummy is a sure fire way to get an early buzz.
Yes, yes it certainly is!!! Eat and bottle is what I do :-)

Old 01-16-2011, 05:54 AM   #7
MeadWitch
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASamWitch View Post
Lavender/vanilla sounds wonderful. I have loads of lavander blossoms I buy for using to scent soaps and sachets that I make. I may have to put that on my to make list.

Tertiary: Sweet Dried Cherry/Vanilla Mead, Prickly Pear Mead, Jalapeno-Peach Sweet Mead

Bottled: Huajillo Honey Mead - 4 bottles only, first ever mead, Light Draft Style Cider, Raspberry Mead, Hibiscus Mead, JAOM, Peach Melba Mead, Limoncello, Kahlua, Spiced Winter Cider, Orange/Vanilla Mead