Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Sam Adams Long Shot
Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 05:43 AM   #11
robnog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffie38
I was lucky to have worked in a liquor store in a Big Ten city when I was in college. We carried over 300 domestic and imported beers.
Was it John's Grocery in Iowa City?

Old 02-06-2007, 02:03 PM   #12
Fiery Sword

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I picked up two 6ers at the Kappy's on Route 1 in Saugus a week or two back. I have to say, I was bummed.

The boisenberry (sp?) have an offensive, soapy/sweet/fruity fragrance and was completely over-the-top in the fruit flavor profile. The "beer" was trempled underfoot.

The old ale was similarly heavy-handed - WAY too "big" and klunky, over alcohol'd, over malted, under hopped.

The export was OK, but had a bit too much of a metallic taste to it. Somewhat acceptable to style, but still not well executed.

Overall, I think these beers represent most brewers tendencies to go over the top as opposed to doing defined, traditional styles well. Not my bag.

Old 02-06-2007, 02:15 PM   #13
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 451 Times on 367 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery Sword
The export was OK, but had a bit too much of a metallic taste to it. Somewhat acceptable to style, but still not well executed.
See, this is interesting, because you would generally think of a metallic off-flavor as indicitive of a manufacturing flaw, not a problem with the recipe itself (unless the secret ingredient was aluminum shavings). I should try and find a sixer of this tonight.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Jazz hands!

Old 02-06-2007, 02:41 PM   #14
Fiery Sword

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
See, this is interesting, because you would generally think of a metallic off-flavor as indicitive of a manufacturing flaw, not a problem with the recipe itself (unless the secret ingredient was aluminum shavings). I should try and find a sixer of this tonight.
I think it has a lot to do with the water profile used. I would not be surprised at all if there were a high level of carbonates allowed/desired in this brew....as well as some iron or something. It just tasted "off" to me in a harsh, sharp, metallic kind of way. Some german pils type beers give me a little of this flavor and when properly balanced with hops it is actually good - but with this one it was just way too pronounced.....in the same way the other 2 beers were so exagerated. Definitely a bummer.

EDIT: Maybe Sam Adams used big, giant aluminum fermenters than they previously used oxy-clean on then scratched them up with brillo pads!??!!!!

Old 02-06-2007, 03:53 PM   #16
ayrton

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchiest
So they're doing another competition for 2007. Does anyone have any plans to enter it? It's very intriguing; I wonder how many entries they get.
I'll give it a shot, sure. If nothing else, I'll get a score card out of it that tells me why my beer sucks.
Conditioning: None
Drinking: None (!)
Recently Kicked: None
Up Next: Beats me!

Old 02-06-2007, 04:06 PM   #17
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 451 Times on 367 Posts
Likes Given: 109

It seems, on its face, that they may have been giving a greater weight to entrants in more-unusual categories. No IPAs or porters among the finalists, they were all styles that generally don't receive a lot of attention.

Incidentally, it appears that the deadline for the 2007 contest is not that far away

Quote:
The four bottles of your brew along with the entry form must be received at the appropriate site between Sunday, April 15, 2007 and 5:00 p.m. on Tuesday, May 1, 2007.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Jazz hands!

Old 02-06-2007, 06:43 PM   #18
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 7

How many of you that tasted these straight out of the bottle?

I was drinking Bass on Sunday. Popped the top on number one, drank about 3-4 sipps straight from the bottle and wasn't too pleased. I grabbed a pint glass poured the rest into it with a good headed pour. At least 1" Let the CO2 out....

It tasted much better. Mind you, this was my first of the day and my palate was not yet influenced by the food at the party.

Just curious if any of you have noticed this before....

BS Nano-Brewery

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 02-06-2007, 06:56 PM   #19
Fiery Sword

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I drank them all in a glass, I was actually splitting them with my buddy for analysis. I like most beers out of glasses, with a few exceptions. Namely Bud, which I like out of an old cross country running shoe.

Old 02-07-2007, 04:29 PM   #20
peggjam
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

For those of you who are even thinking of entering this contest you should first READ all the rules, including those under the subheading Prizes: which in a nutshell states that you give up ALL rights to your winning reciepe, and the use of your likeness to Sam Adams Brewing Co. Which means that should you win this contest you will:

Recieve $5000 and a trip to CO:

BUT: you give up all rights to your winning reciepe, and your ability to market your winning reciepe. So, for $5000 dollars you basicly sell your reciepe to Sam Adams for them to market and make a profit on........I would think twice before entering this, and GIVING AWAY your reciepe.

Closed Thread