Bust A Nut Brown Ale (AG)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bernie Brewer

Grouchy Old Fart
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Notttingham Ale 2pkgs
Yeast Starter
no
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days @ 70F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14days @70F
I couldn't find a category for a Nut Brown ale, so if one of the Mods can find a better place for this recipe, please move it for me.
This is named Bust a Nut Brown ale because it is the first 10 gallon batch I ever made and I damn near busted a nut carrying 10 gallons of hot wort from my garage to my kitchen to cool it.:eek:
Here goes:

Bust A Nut Brown
Brew Type: All Grain Date: 2/26/2006
Style: Northern English Brown Ale Brewer: Bernie Brewer
Batch Size: 10.00 gal Assistant Brewer:
Boil Volume: 12.13 gal Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 % Equipment: Brew Pot (12.5 gal) and Igloo Cooler (10 Gal)
Actual Efficiency: 68.0 %

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
12.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 61.5 %
4.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 20.5 %
2.00 lb Rye, Flaked (2.0 SRM) Grain 10.3 %
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.1 %
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 2.6 %
2.50 oz Styrian Goldings [4.90%] (60 min) Hops 23.1 IBU
0.50 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [3.30%] (15 min) Hops 1.5 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [6.00%] (5 min) Hops 1.1 IBU
2 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.048 SG (1.040-1.050 SG) Measured Original Gravity: 1.047 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.012 SG (1.010-1.013 SG) Measured Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Color: 20.2 SRM (12.0-30.0 SRM) Color [Color]
Bitterness: 25.8 IBU (15.0-30.0 IBU) Alpha Acid Units: 1.4 AAU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 4.8 % (4.0-5.0 %) Actual Alcohol by Volume: 4.6 %
Actual Calories: 208 cal/pint

Mash Profile Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body Mash Tun Weight: 9.00 lb
Mash Grain Weight: 19.50 lb Mash PH: 5.4 PH
Grain Temperature: 72.0 F Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F
Sparge Water: 5.21 gal Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE

Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 24.38 qt of water at 165.9 F 154.0 F 60 min
Mash Out Add 13.65 qt of water at 196.6 F 168.0 F 10 min

Mash Notes
Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and Storage Carbonation Type: Kegged (Forced CO2) Carbonation Volumes: 2.4 (1.3-2.1 vols)
Estimated Pressure: 10.2 PSI Kegging Temperature: 38.0 F
Pressure Used: - Age for: 4.0 Weeks
Storage Temperature: 52.0 F

Jesus, you carried 10 gallons? I salute you. But you must have a huge kitchen to be able to cool wort in it. :drunk:

eriklupust said:
i just tried an 'arcadia" nut brown ale and loved it how do i convert this to extract or mini:confused:

You could try an online recipe calculator such as Recipator, I dunno if they convert from AG to extract or not:confused:

jacobyhale said:
Have you brewed this recently? Anyone else? Any changes made?

I just had one that Yooper Brewmistress brewed with Bernies recipe from last months beer swap. It was very good.

Awesome. I've been thinking about doing a clone of Rogue's Hazelnut Brown Nectar, but I wanted to start with an easier more basic Nut Brown. Just got back from the LHBS and got everything with a couple of substitutions. They were out of Nottinghams, so I'm gonna use Safale US-05. They were out of Styrian Goldings, so I got Fuggles.
I'm also doing a smaller batch, only 2.5gallons.

I'm bumping this up because I attempted it over the weekend. I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I did not realize this was for a ten gallon batch until I had all the ingredients. Rather than do the safe thing and split the ingredients in half, I went balls-out and used all of them to make a 5 gallon batch.

Imperial Brown Ale?

Double Nut Brown Ale?

Swinging Pair Nut Brown?

Nut Black Ale?

Not sure how this will turn out, but I'll let you know.

For the record, if one talks about "busting a nut," they're not talking about breaking one's back or suffering a hernia. It's an overtly (and rather ghetto) sexual expression regarding a man achieving orgasm. (Often pronounced "buss a NUT".)

Just sayin'. Makes the brew's moniker that much funnier--or that much more suspect, of course. :)

O ya, my double concentrate batch turned out pretty good. It needs more time to condition. I'll have to try this again now that I have 10 gallon capacity.

nigel31 said:
For the record, if one talks about "busting a nut," they're not talking about breaking one's back or suffering a hernia. It's an overtly (and rather ghetto) sexual expression regarding a man achieving orgasm. (Often pronounced "buss a NUT".)

Just sayin'. Makes the brew's moniker that much funnier--or that much more suspect, of course. :)

Perhaps it tasted so good that he busted a nut and decided the name was even more fitting lol

Back