Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Questions about splitting batch

Old 12-18-2010, 12:29 AM   #1
KnightRyder
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Questions about splitting batch

Hi guys,

I made a 5 gallon batch (a few months ago) and 2 weeks ago I split it into 5 carlo rossi 1 gallon jugs with different things in each of them (blueberry, dried traverse city cherries, cinnamon & clove, chipotle & guajillo pepper, and finally cocoa powder & peppermint. now for the questions...

1. It looks like the blueberry one is starting back up with a little bubbling (i didn't throw a campden tablet to kill the yeast yet) and I am wondering if I should do that in all the jugs to make sure the yeast dies? Also how much per gallon...half a tablet...a whole tablet?

2. Assuming I want this cleared more for bottling (and I have no spare jugs), what should I do to rack off the fruit? I was thinking about going into a sanitized "something or other" and then clean the jug and rack right back into it for aging/clearing...any problems with this...or any better ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Old 12-18-2010, 02:22 AM   #2
gratus fermentatio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1562 Times on 946 Posts
Likes Given: 4076

Adding fermentable sugars will restart fermentation; there are fermentable sugars in blueberries. I'd just let the yeast do their thing. You can either buy another jug of carlo rossi & drink it before you need to rack, or you can buy an empty gallon jug at your LHBS, they're usually only a few bucks. You could also rack to a sanitized bucket, clean & sanitize the jug, then rack back into it; I'd be concerned about oxidation with that last bit though. If you rack to a bucket or whatever & back, you might consider hitting it with campden tabs; the sulfites will help to protect the mead from oxidation. I think your best bet is just to go get another jug, stopper (properly sized) & airlock and rack to that. Regards, GF.