Vin Cuit - Cooked Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wetfoot

Reaction score
I was reading one of my older French Cookbooks and ran across a Provence recipe for 'Vin Cuit' (cooked wine). the recipe was simple enough - unfermented wine (red) must boiled to reduce by 1/3, cool and filter, then add 1/3 cup 'marc' or 'eau-de-vie' per quart of wine and bottle. To be served with Christmas Cake, nuts, and not-too-sweet fruit tarts. Sounds a little rustic but might be a fun, simple project for a gallon of leftover juice next year. Has anyone tried anything like this?

A little more internet research revealed that there are producers of this wine in France. However, they reduce the juice without boiling, then ferment, malolactic ferment, then oak aging. That implies production in the fall for the following Christmas. The Vin Cuit comes out at %15 abv and has flavors of jam, raisins, etc. They sell it in those smaller 350ml bottles like dessert wines. A few chefs like to use it for deglazing a pan, like Marsala would be used. I'm not seeing this anywhere in the US. I'm thinking this could also be a good project for Blackberry juice.

Latest posts

Back