Brewed up a batch of the AG-version of this recipe this morning, and I'm happy to report that it's probably the first brewing I've done where everything went more-or-less according to plan. There were no huge surprises or disasters, and I felt surprisingly capable at the end of it! The batch is currently sitting in its carboy, waiting for the yeast to kick in and start doing its thing.
I made a couple slight changes to the overall recipe, thought I'd note them here:
- Used 6-row instead of 2-row, for hopefully a good, solid head (something I haven't been able to achieve yet).
- Light brown sugar instead of Dark brown sugar, since it's what I had. I imagine this will make the flavor a bit lighter than expected, but I'm okay with that for now.
- Used more water to boil the brown sugar - my sparge was a little low, only being able to get about 1.5 gallons due to my available pots and kettles being just too small to do more than that for a sparge. Need to get a bigger boil kettle, I expect... Anyway, I took the opportunity to boil the sugar in more water and use that to get back up to ~5 gallons in the boil.
- Also, used Wyeast 1098, British Ale, since I couldn't find WLP005 at my LHBS...
Looking forward to tasting this one, Boddington's is easily my favorite pub-style ale, and I'd love to be able to make something as good.
Just Another Oregon Homebrewer
Planning: Irish Red, Vanilla Whiskey Stout
Bottled: Dragon's Hoarde Bitter