Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > New To Mead

Old 12-22-2010, 04:23 PM   #11
Matrix4b
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts

My suggestion is to look for honey locally. Many places have an apriary (beekeeper) or a farm or honey company close. If you are anywhere near Denver, CO then I recomend Madahava's. If you get it in bulk and explain to them you are making mead you may be able to talk them into giving you wholesale prices. I get mine in 42 pound buckets for close to $2.00 a pound for both clover and alfapha honey. Great Quality honey. Your best bet is not to buy from online, or a grocery store. Even Sams Club or Costco is going to be expensive for low quality honey. I highly recomend checking out your area for local sources, most times they will give you a deal. Also, Many Farmer's Markets will up the price for varietal honeys and even buying in bulk is at too high of prices. I am sure you can find some great honey closer than you think.

For yeasts, I prefer Lavin D-47. Nice clean fermentation and it complements most fruit meads. I also have never had a problem with stuck fermentation. It may take 6-12 months to age properly after clear but ooohh it's so good once done. Also, don't for get to get some oak chips/cubes and put those in at end of fermentation for about 2 weeks. You only need an ounce of it and even lightly toasted oak will make ohh so smooth once it's done aging.