Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > 6 degrees for yeast!

Old 12-15-2010, 06:27 PM   #1
discooby
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default 6 degrees for yeast!

First time poster, potential first time brewer (if package finally arrives).

The winter months here in Las Vegas offer a limited time out of the year to brew (temp wise) and I’ve decided to try my hand at cider. I ordered some dry yeast from an online brew-store (2 weeks ago!!! Sorry Santa, milk this year, cider next) and the package has been sitting at a FedEx holding facility in St. Paul, MN for 5 days now where the temps are bouncing around 6 degrees F.

I’ve heard of people freezing their yeast but we all know 6 degrees is well below freezing; a temp that can destroy most cells.

My question/s: how viable will this yeast be when it finally arrives here in Vegas? Will I be sorely disappointed at my first brewing attempt? Does dry, dormant yeast have super powers? Or is the lesson learned: “order your yeast during the summer, newbie!”?
I do plan to use a yeast nutrient and energizer.

Side thought…
Let’s say that a commercial transport flies at an altitude of between 20K and 40K feet; if the cargo cabin (say from a FedEx parcel transport) isn’t pressurized then the internal temperatures at this altitude can drop below -30F (even if it’s pressurized the holds might not be heated well for inanimate objects). That said, most home brewers with no LHBS order online and have their yeast delivered… giving, at worst case, the yeast time to chill-out for several hours during its flight at this temp with no harm…(???).

Thanks in advance for your thoughts! Cheers!

P.S. Though they hover around $0.80 a packet, a 2 week wait makes them more valuable.
I ordered:
Lalvin K1V-1116 Montpellier
Lalvin EC-1118 Champagne
Red Star Pasteur Champagne

Old 12-15-2010, 06:37 PM   #2
TheMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 24 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 338 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You are overthinking this way too much haha. Your yeast is fine. Just because it's 6 degrees outside does not mean it's 6 degrees in the holding facility. If anything you should be more concerned during summer since the yeast sits in a truck all day before being delivered...and most of the delivery trucks are NOT air conditioned so it's essentially a giant heat box.

Old 12-15-2010, 06:40 PM   #3
JonK331
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 6

My guess is that the yeast will be fine, however, you could stop by here: http://www.vegashomebrew.com/ and get some back up just in case. Also, morebeer is on the west coast so shipping from there would eliminate such problems.
discooby Likes This 
Old 12-15-2010, 06:41 PM   #4
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1134 Times on 922 Posts
Likes Given: 585

To preserve dry bread yeast, we put it in the freezer where it will stay good for months. It might be a problem with liquid yeast.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:04 PM   #5
discooby
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks for the replies!
I’ll pitch the yeast and check Vegas Homebrew for some back-up… assuming that in 3 days there isn’t any activity I can pitch again in the same primary and let stand for 3+ weeks to let all the yeast fall, rack for 2+ more weeks and then bottle without a huge yeasty flavor…

I’ll post my results. Thanks again! Cheers!

Old 12-15-2010, 08:25 PM   #6
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 39 Posts

This is why I only buy my yeast from the local homebrew shops.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:35 AM   #7
indigi
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Your yeast is fine. There's no water in them since they're dried, and the only way they'd be damaged by freezing is if ice crystals form and shred open their cell walls. If other microorganisms can survive in space, your yeast will shrug off a little time at 6*.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:08 PM   #8
discooby
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Received the yeast three days ago (12/17/2010) and after 10 hours had about 3 bubbles per minute in the airlocks for each of 4 batches (Lalvin EC-118 and Red Star Pasteur Champagne) so I figured they survived any extreme cold temps and are good to go!
Woke up this morning and found one batch has stopped bubbling (Lalvin EC-118). Indoor temperature is 69 degrees F (20 C; in between the recommended 15 to 25 C range for this yeast). Prior to pitching I added yeast nutrient, yeast energizer and pectic enzyme to this batch; I also just pitched the yeast on-top of the juice without the recommended rehydration process… I’ve read that a lot of people do this with no problems.

Q: should I have waited until racking to secondary before adding pectic enzyme? Do the yeast and enzymes not like each other? Do I just have lazy yeast or poor rehydration manners? The other three batches are still only burping about 3 bubbles a minute.

Detail:
Batch 1:
1 gal Apple juice
1 pkt Pasteur Champagne
˝ tsp yeast nutrient
˝ tsp yeast energizer
˝ tsp pectic enzyme
1 cup brown sugar (boiled in 2 cups water)

Batch 2:
1 gal apple juice
1 packet Pasteur Champagne
1 cup brown sugar (boiled in 2 cups water)

Batch 3: (no more bubbles)
1 gal Apple juice
1 packet Lalvin EC-118
˝ tsp yeast nutrient
˝ tsp yeast energizer
˝ tsp pectic enzyme
2 cups brown sugar (boiled in 2 cups water)

Batch 4:
1 gal apple juice
1 packet Lalvin EC-118
2 cups brown sugar (boiled in 2 cups water)

Being my first batch, I wanted to see how well the nutrient, energizer, and pectic enzyme actually did compared to not using it.
Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks!

Old 12-20-2010, 11:39 PM   #9
indigi
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Just because you don't see any bubbling doesn't mean nothing's happening. Wait a few more days and take a gravity reading before you start worrying about anything.

Old 12-21-2010, 02:57 PM   #10
DrawTap88
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigi View Post
Just because you don't see any bubbling doesn't mean nothing's happening. Wait a few more days and take a gravity reading before you start worrying about anything.
+1 to that. Check today, check tomorrow, and then check the day after that. If your numbers haven't changed, you know it's stalled (or finished).

If all else fails, and you do need to repitch, you could always repitch onto one of the other viable yeast cakes (although not recommended since it's considered overpitching). I only suggest that since you already had to wait 2+ weeks for your yeasties to arive.

Kegged: IPA, Red Rye