Hop growing - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Hop growing
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2010, 08:38 PM   #11

He was growing Cascade, Nugget, and Centennial I believe. I think it was a 24" planter for each rhizome. And yes, he was watering daily, but I'm not sure how much. The plants looked extremely healthy, they just didn't produce or grow nearly as much as they would have had they been put in the ground.


__________________
He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven.

Another HERMS rig...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:19 PM   #12
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Golddiggie's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Posts: 11,943
Liked 491 Times on 427 Posts


Next time I'm at the LHBS I'll check with the guys there to see if growing in a planter is an actual viable option for this area or not. If not, then I'll have to either find a place to plant them in the ground, or wait until I have a yard, or part of a yard, where I can grow them...

My only real concern about planting them where I am now is if I move in the next couple of years. I'd hate to leave the hops there, especially if they're growing and such... Although I might be able to plan the move in the cooler months, post harvest.

Has anyone tried transplanting hops that were in the ground from one location to another? Is that something worth doing, or not worth the hassle? The rhizomes are pretty cheap (per unit) so it's not a cost thing, more of something I'd rather not leave behind. Although they would probably not do very well for the first year once transplanted, if they survived... Probably better off just replanting new rhizomes once I've moved (if I can get my current landlord to let me plant them this year)...



 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:29 AM   #13

I've transplanted hops with good results. I actually pull mine up every few years to trim the root ball, so I don't think you'll have issues. Hops are a pretty hearty plant.
__________________
He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven.

Another HERMS rig...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:23 AM   #14
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Golddiggie's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Posts: 11,943
Liked 491 Times on 427 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Suthrncomfrt1884 View Post
I've transplanted hops with good results. I actually pull mine up every few years to trim the root ball, so I don't think you'll have issues. Hops are a pretty hearty plant.
Good to know... Now I just need to find a place to put them into the ground...

Where I would plant (either in the ground or in large planters) would have sun from around mid-morning through to mid/late afternoon (sun it behind another house by about 7 during the summer). The sun comes over the trees (east side of the yard) around 9AM, or so... Just wondering if maybe your friends plants got too much of the hot sun... I believe the plants would be partially shaded by about 6PM during the summer, so they would get a good 9 hours of sun, roughly...

If my landlord won't let me plant hops (thinking of offering him a couple of brews from each batch that has those hops in it as incentive), then I'll see where else I can grow them... The biggest issue I can see if monitoring them, for water and such, when they're not where I live. Or where there's someone that will take good care of them during the week. Especially if we get a hot, or dry spell.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:03 PM   #15
crxin
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Middletown, New York
Posts: 8

sorry for the stupid question, but i am assuming that hops are perennial type of plants that die in the winter and gorw again in the summer; is this true?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:08 PM   #16
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Golddiggie's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Posts: 11,943
Liked 491 Times on 427 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by crxin View Post
sorry for the stupid question, but i am assuming that hops are perennial type of plants that die in the winter and gorw again in the summer; is this true?
They don't "die" in the winter, they "die back" for the winter, or post growing season... Essentially, the rhizome remains 'alive' but goes dormant until conditions are correct for it to grow again. If it actually did die, then you would need to replant them every year.

I figure I have a good month, or two, to figure out where to grow hops for the coming year... If I can find a place to do it, then I will. If not, then I'll just continue to buy hops until I do find a place to grow them...

I would like to know if there's a way to determine the AA% of hops you grow. That way you could use them for more than just flavor/aroma...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:52 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
I would like to know if there's a way to determine the AA% of hops you grow. That way you could use them for more than just flavor/aroma...
There are labs you can send samples to that will tell you the AA%, but the price makes it pointless. Most companies that sell rhizomes will post an average AA%. I just use that and guess on the IBU's. I frequently use my homegrown hops for bittering.
__________________
He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven.

Another HERMS rig...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:30 PM   #18
gerryalton
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
Vancouver, Melbourne
Posts: 3

Last year, when I started growing hops, I mentioned my setup and that I would give a report on how it worked.

I grow the hops up 8 feet, then horizontally about 16 feet. My setup works really well. I run the vines up some nylon twine to a galvanized steel wire, that is stretched across two posts, and then across to the eaves of my house.

The first year, only two varieties made it most of the way across to my house, for a total of about 20 feet--Chinook and Nugget. This year, I expect more growth, and may even find some of the vines wanting more line. As I write, three of the varieties have already reached 8 feet.
__________________
cheap homes

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 05:12 PM   #19
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Golddiggie's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Posts: 11,943
Liked 491 Times on 427 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryalton View Post
Last year, when I started growing hops, I mentioned my setup and that I would give a report on how it worked.

I grow the hops up 8 feet, then horizontally about 16 feet. My setup works really well. I run the vines up some nylon twine to a galvanized steel wire, that is stretched across two posts, and then across to the eaves of my house.

The first year, only two varieties made it most of the way across to my house, for a total of about 20 feet--Chinook and Nugget. This year, I expect more growth, and may even find some of the vines wanting more line. As I write, three of the varieties have already reached 8 feet.
Are you growing in ground, or in large planters?



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
or not growing david_42 Hops Growing 6 05-06-2010 02:20 AM
Hop growing schedule and year-round growing in CA? tekhna Hops Growing 8 11-23-2009 01:40 AM
Growing Everything? Selfsufficient Hops Growing 15 04-25-2009 02:11 AM
anyone in CO growing? mattmcl Hops Growing 7 02-09-2009 04:15 AM
hop growing ?'s scubajim Hops Growing 2 12-03-2008 02:02 PM


Forum Jump