American IPA Lakefront IPA clone-ish - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > American IPA Lakefront IPA clone-ish

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2010, 12:32 AM   #11
BraveSirRobin
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Posts: 141
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


I was looking for an IPA to brew, I think I'll be brewing this one next week. I remember you telling me good things about Lakefront's IPA so I'll give your clone a whirl. If Bob says it's that good I'll take his word on it.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:25 PM   #12
zuesy
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
Kansas
Posts: 97
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Yooper, you have done it again. I love the Lakefront IPA. I made the recipe in the original thread using Columbus (and Cali V). It came out OK. I really liked the dry-hops and vowed to make it again. Then I saw this thread and for the second batch I made your version using Chinook, and Wow! Just, wow.

I gotta say, I prefer your version to the original.

Cheers!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:42 PM   #13
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,760
Liked 8026 Times on 5608 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by zuesy View Post
Yooper, you have done it again. I love the Lakefront IPA. I made the recipe in the original thread using Columbus (and Cali V). It came out OK. I really liked the dry-hops and vowed to make it again. Then I saw this thread and for the second batch I made your version using Chinook, and Wow! Just, wow.

I gotta say, I prefer your version to the original.

Cheers!
I hate to admit, but I prefer this one too! It's probably just because we can drink it fresh as homebrew- we're about 200 miles or more away from the brewery and it's really hard go get here. I probably haven't had a fresh bottled one, and it's been a long time since I've have one fresh at the brewery.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:07 AM   #14
sudsmcgee
 
sudsmcgee's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2010
Western Chicago Burbs, IL
Posts: 1,515
Liked 50 Times on 42 Posts


As stated previously, I just made this as my first ag brew. I ended up with a 1.068 gravity, which is a little low, but I'm happy. I also ended up with 5.3 gallons for a 5 gallon batch.Regardless, I'm sure it will be excellent!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:22 AM   #15
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,760
Liked 8026 Times on 5608 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsmcgee View Post
As stated previously, I just made this as my first ag brew. I ended up with a 1.068 gravity, which is a little low, but I'm happy. I also ended up with 5.3 gallons for a 5 gallon batch.Regardless, I'm sure it will be excellent!
It will- I promise! I love the amount of crystal, which is far more than I usually use in IPA! (Most of my IPAs have none). The hops combination is awesome. We really love this beer.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:41 PM   #16
idigg
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
West Allis, WI
Posts: 397
Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts


I just picked up a 6 pack of Lakefront IPA last night, and came across this thread today! I live in Milwaukee and the lakefront tour is awesome, you drink a LOT. $7 and you get 5 beers and a lakefront glass.

I will be brewing this in a month, thanks. When you say "Lakefront IPA clone-ish", you're just guessing on ingredients and hops used in the original right? I've always wondered how people come up with recipes. Seems confusing or a shot in the dark to get anywhere close. Thanks again.

justin

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:40 PM   #17
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,760
Liked 8026 Times on 5608 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by idigg View Post
I just picked up a 6 pack of Lakefront IPA last night, and came across this thread today! I live in Milwaukee and the lakefront tour is awesome, you drink a LOT. $7 and you get 5 beers and a lakefront glass.

I will be brewing this in a month, thanks. When you say "Lakefront IPA clone-ish", you're just guessing on ingredients and hops used in the original right? I've always wondered how people come up with recipes. Seems confusing or a shot in the dark to get anywhere close. Thanks again.

justin
It wasn't even MY guess- someone posted the recipe from the brewmaster. Since that was like a 6000 gallon batch, though, I made a few changes. I didn't taste them head-to-head- it's almost impossible for me to get Lakefront beers here- but I loved it and thought it might be pretty close.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:46 PM   #18
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
Thiensville, Wisconsin
Posts: 8,308
Liked 498 Times on 386 Posts


anyone know anything about this??

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/741/65076

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:58 AM   #19
bleak
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
Campbell River
Posts: 64
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


So Yooper, did you mash this at 152 F.?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:47 PM   #20
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,760
Liked 8026 Times on 5608 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by bleak View Post
So Yooper, did you mash this at 152 F.?
Yes, I believe so. Either 152 or 153. I never have problems with under-attenuation, usually over if anything, so that works for me. If you have a problem with beers finishing too high, you could go lower with good results.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lakefront's Riverwest Stein - Recipe/Clone brewpunk Recipes/Ingredients 18 06-07-2014 03:13 AM
Does anyone have a lakefront eastside dark clone? sweeperkeeper Recipes/Ingredients 4 02-28-2014 03:14 PM
Lakefront Wisconsinite All Grain Clone? JonGrafto Recipes/Ingredients 21 07-15-2012 11:58 PM
Lakefront IPA recipe anyone??? trevorc13 Recipes/Ingredients 20 02-27-2012 04:51 PM
BYO Lakefront Eastside Dark clone motobrewer Recipes/Ingredients 3 05-29-2011 02:27 PM


Forum Jump