American IPA Lakefront IPA clone-ish

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Nottingham or S04
Yeast Starter
no
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 at 64-65
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days at 65 (dryhopping)
Tasting Notes
\"Clean\" hoppy IPA with citrusy notes that are inviting and the taste is great!
Someone on the forums posted the recipe from the brewmaster, but for the full brewery size. I scaled it down, and brewed it a couple of times. I had to sub some hops, as I used chinook for bittering and the original recipe called for columbus.

I never tried it head-to-head, as Lakefront is hard to get for me here, but it's a great beer and I think you'll love it as much as we do!

12 lbs 12.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 91.07 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 5.36 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 3.57 %

1.25 oz Chinook [11.50 %] (60 min) Hops 43.5 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade (homegrown) [5.00 %] (5 min) Hops 2.7 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade (homegrown) [5.00 %] (0 min) Hops -

1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

1.00 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Cascade (homegrown) [5.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Chinook (homegrown) [10.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -

I was fortunate to have lots of homegrown hops for this recipe, but of course commercial hops could be used interchangably with the homegrown. The chinook in the dryhopping is awesome- bigger citrus with a resiny backnote that combined with the simcoe and cascade is a beautiful hoppy experience.

This is on tap again at our house. Bob (the former non-hophead) upon sampling it again, said "THIS is what I'm talking about! We need this on tap all of the time!".

Extract version:
9 pounds DME
.50 pound crystal 20L
.50 pound crystal 40L
Steep grains in bag for 20 minutes, then remove and bring to a boil. Add 1/2 the DME, and begin hopping as the schedule above. With 15 minutes left in the boil, add the rest of the DME, whisking well to dissolve. Add the rest of the hops as the recipe indicates.

PM version:
6 lbs Light Dry Extract
3 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L
Mash the grains in 6 quarts of water at 150-155 degrees. Make sure the grain is "loose" in the bag, so you can thoroughly wet the grains throughout. Keep at 150-155 for 45 minutes, and then lift out the grains and put them in a strainer over the brewpot. Sparge by pouring 170 degree water over the grains until you reach your boil volume. Discard grains. Bring pot up to a boil, and add 1/2 of the DME. Hop as above. With 15 minutes left in the boil, add the rest of the DME, whisking well to dissolve. Add the rest of the hops at the time indicated in the recipe above.

Thank you. I might make this my first all-grain brew!

Question though: Is there a general rule for hop pellet substitutions? I'm used to them and don't want too many new variables for my first all-grain brew.

Thank you. I might make this my first all-grain brew!

Question though: Is there a general rule for hop pellet substitutions? I'm used to them and don't want too many new variables for my first all-grain brew.

Well, not really. I think the "rule" is 10% less leaf hops for pellets, but I figure the IBUs with some software and really ignore the differences.

For late additions, I just add the same amount, whether leaf or pellet, and it's working out well for me.

OK, playing with Beersmith now. I want to have this recipe planned for when I brew it over the holidays.

I think I understand most of the settings, but regarding the mash profile, what is the best choice to use? I plan on mashing and batch sparging in the cooler.

Should I choose single infusion, full body, batch sparge? I don't understand what these different choices mean.

If this question belongs in another section please feel free to move it.

Edit: Nevermind, I'm figuring it out.

OK, playing with Beersmith now. I want to have this recipe planned for when I brew it over the holidays.

I think I understand most of the settings, but regarding the mash profile, what is the best choice to use? I plan on mashing and batch sparging in the cooler.

Should I choose single infusion, full body, batch sparge? I don't understand what these different choices mean.

If this question belongs in another section please feel free to move it.

Edit: Nevermind, I'm figuring it out.

I use single infusion, medium body for most of my IPAs. I do adjust the temperature inside the mash profile for each beer.

Let us know if you need some help with it! It really is a great program to use once you get it figured out.

I have added this to my December brew list.

I had the pleasure of tasting this beer recently (;)) and it's wonderful!

Thanks for the recipe, Yoop!

Welcome to the Dark Side Bob. heh, heh.

Yoop, I too have an IPA recipe I have in which I dry hop with Chinook. I think it's awesome as a dry hop addition.

Spectacular! I have an IPA in primary right now, and was wondering about this combination for dry hopping. Glad you got such rave reviews - I can't wait!

I was looking for an IPA to brew, I think I'll be brewing this one next week. I remember you telling me good things about Lakefront's IPA so I'll give your clone a whirl. If Bob says it's that good I'll take his word on it.

Yooper, you have done it again. I love the Lakefront IPA. I made the recipe in the original thread using Columbus (and Cali V). It came out OK. I really liked the dry-hops and vowed to make it again. Then I saw this thread and for the second batch I made your version using Chinook, and Wow! Just, wow.

I gotta say, I prefer your version to the original.

Cheers!

Yooper, you have done it again. I love the Lakefront IPA. I made the recipe in the original thread using Columbus (and Cali V). It came out OK. I really liked the dry-hops and vowed to make it again. Then I saw this thread and for the second batch I made your version using Chinook, and Wow! Just, wow.

I gotta say, I prefer your version to the original.

Cheers!

I hate to admit, but I prefer this one too! It's probably just because we can drink it fresh as homebrew- we're about 200 miles or more away from the brewery and it's really hard go get here. I probably haven't had a fresh bottled one, and it's been a long time since I've have one fresh at the brewery.

As stated previously, I just made this as my first ag brew. I ended up with a 1.068 gravity, which is a little low, but I'm happy. I also ended up with 5.3 gallons for a 5 gallon batch.Regardless, I'm sure it will be excellent!

As stated previously, I just made this as my first ag brew. I ended up with a 1.068 gravity, which is a little low, but I'm happy. I also ended up with 5.3 gallons for a 5 gallon batch.Regardless, I'm sure it will be excellent!

It will- I promise! I love the amount of crystal, which is far more than I usually use in IPA! (Most of my IPAs have none). The hops combination is awesome. We really love this beer.

I just picked up a 6 pack of Lakefront IPA last night, and came across this thread today! I live in Milwaukee and the lakefront tour is awesome, you drink a LOT. $7 and you get 5 beers and a lakefront glass.

I will be brewing this in a month, thanks. When you say "Lakefront IPA clone-ish", you're just guessing on ingredients and hops used in the original right? I've always wondered how people come up with recipes. Seems confusing or a shot in the dark to get anywhere close. Thanks again.

justin

I just picked up a 6 pack of Lakefront IPA last night, and came across this thread today! I live in Milwaukee and the lakefront tour is awesome, you drink a LOT. $7 and you get 5 beers and a lakefront glass.

I will be brewing this in a month, thanks. When you say "Lakefront IPA clone-ish", you're just guessing on ingredients and hops used in the original right? I've always wondered how people come up with recipes. Seems confusing or a shot in the dark to get anywhere close. Thanks again.

justin

It wasn't even MY guess- someone posted the recipe from the brewmaster. Since that was like a 6000 gallon batch, though, I made a few changes. I didn't taste them head-to-head- it's almost impossible for me to get Lakefront beers here- but I loved it and thought it might be pretty close.

So Yooper, did you mash this at 152° F.?

Yes, I believe so. Either 152 or 153. I never have problems with under-attenuation, usually over if anything, so that works for me. If you have a problem with beers finishing too high, you could go lower with good results.

I mashed at 152.2, but it had dropped to 148.2 after one hour. Mine finished at 1.012.

Yooper, does this recipe have less noticeable hops flavor/aroma? I bottled last weekend and it smelled and tasted great, but it didn't have that massive IPA hops punch I'm used to. Even 3 oz of dry hops for 8 days barely gave it much aroma.

I didn't save the package, but they were from Austin Homebrew, so I'm sure there pretty fresh. They smelled great when opened. Maybe I'm just not used to the aroma of these hops.

So after three weeks in the bottle this has become really good. It's different than other IPA's I drink, perhaps because of all the crystal. Glad I made it. Thanks again Yoop!

I brewed this up today! All late addition extract. I've been having some good success lately doing extract brews. I scaled back the bittering addition to .8oz chinook. Any idea of how much these late extract additions effect IBU's versus all-grain? I think I've been coming out just a bit too bitter.

We had 3 inches of rain here over the last few days and over an inch today. I couldn't help but think my yard looked like a Lakefront as I brewed this up. Sometimes the brewgods just smile down on you! I'll keep you updated on the progress. Cheers guys!

Gang - If I was to do this as a full boil extract or partial mash how much LME would I need? Do all late addtion? I would keep same hop addtions since I'm doing full boil correct? Thanks!

I brewed this 9 days ago and just checked the gravity, it's down to 1013. Of course I had to try it and it is already fantastic. It is already clear, citrusy and fruity and should turn out great, I can't wait to dry hop it.

Would this recipe benefit by substituting Maris Otter for the pale ale malt?

I don't know about "benefit", but I can say that I love some MO in IPA's. It will be different but I'm sure equally good.

On another note this beer is REALLY tasty! I had the SWMBO try it the other night and told her it was the "most delicious grapefruit hop juice ever made!" She agreed and asked, "who makes this?" Ha!

My Chinook and Cascade rhizomes just went into the ground so a true replica is in order this fall. Nice recipe. Brew this beer!

Brewed this yesterday and the fermentation is so violent i needed the blow off hose on the 6.5 gal bucket. Also toured the brewery right after brewing and the brewer told me they use White Labs California yeast for this beer. I had used wyest 1098 - British Ale earlier in the day. He said it should turn out well.

i bought the stuff today for a partial mash. only thing i'm doing different is using pellets for the boil and whole leaf hops for the dry hopping. never used whole leafs so i'm giddy about that. and i'm using Wyeast 1056

should i make a yeast starter for the partial mash version of this? i'm new to beersmith and it says i need to use 28 smack packs or 10 yeast packs in a starter. obviously something is off. i feel like my equipment is as accurate as i can make it

should i make a yeast starter for the partial mash version of this? i'm new to beersmith and it says i need to use 28 smack packs or 10 yeast packs in a starter. obviously something is off. i feel like my equipment is as accurate as i can make it

Yes, with liquid yeast you should almost always make a starter.

i figured out the problem i was having with beersmith. my local HBS told me to change the date of my yeast from 2011 to 2012. i did it and now things are making more sense. fixing to brew this here in a few hours

question about the 1.5 quarts per pound of grain step people use: i use a 30 quart pot with a 5 gallon paint strainer bag for grains. 1.5 gallons if fairly close to the bottom of the brew pot a lot of exposed grain. do people typically use a mash tun for this step?

just want to say thanks for this recipe. this could very well end up being a staple in the Gladiator household. my wife is playing around with ways of making hop soap that smells like this beers aroma. we can't get enough

Brewed the extract version of this yesterday. Hit 1.064 OG, ended up with a bit more wort than expected (had less boil off than expected). I'm going for smaller batches now so a little more than half of my carboy is filled. Anyway, I've never had such a huge krausen, this is crazy.

IMG_1560.jpg

IMG_1565.jpg

Back