Specialty IPA: Black IPA Damn the Man Black IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damdaman

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP001
Yeast Starter
Yes (or pitch 2 vials)
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
31 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
3 weeks @ 68*
Tasting Notes
Delicious! Duh.
This is a recipe that I've been working on all year. I'm currently fermenting my 4th batch, and I think I've got it down. In my opinion, Black IPAs should have enough dark malt flavor to justify their color (not using only Carafa III), more than just a hint, not overpowering but not completely absent either. I use 6oz chocolate malt to achieve this, but use however much to fit your tastes (a little less would be good, but I probably wouldn't add any more).

The cascade/willamette combo gives a nice, citrusy nose, and the centennial/cascade combo is a tasty, spicy combo for smooth bittering. My calculators always put this in the 75-80 IBU range but the centennial hops providing the main bittering don't seem to smack you the way a lot of high-IBU IPAs do. This gives you a whole lot of hop flavor, but without the puckering. I use all lose whole hops.

The chocolate malt comes through moderately but doesn't dominate.

I shoot for 5.5gal in the fermenter cuz the dry hops are going to soak up a good chunk of of the batch. I also use a potato masher to squeeze out as much hop juice as possible when pouring into the fermenter.

For extract, replace the 2-row with 6lbs LDME and steep the rest.

Mash: 60 min @ 152 (assuming 70% efficiency)

10lbs 2-row
12oz victory
12oz crystal 60L
6oz carafa III
6oz chocolate

Boil:

1oz centennial (7.8% AA) 60 min
1oz centennial 30 min
1oz centennial 20 min
1oz cascade (7% AA) 15 min
1oz cascade flameout
1oz willamette (4.5% AA)flameout
1oz cascade dry hop (7 days)
1oz willamette dry hop (7 days)

Please let me know how it turns out if you give it a try! :mug:

I like it! Especially the hop schedule. But... Can you steep victory? I thought it was Partial Mash only.

My first BIPA will get its first taste test on Christmas. I am more excited about this brew than I have been in a long time.

But... Can you steep victory? I thought it was Partial Mash only.

Hmm, doing a search it looks like it can contribute a starch haze if steeped, but with a really dark beer I'm not sure how much this would affect the appearance. Steeping will still contribute some flavor it seems. Could always leave it out and up the crystal though, good catch.

I like the looks of the grain bill. Might have to do something like this sometime soon. Thanks for the idea.

I Just kegged this and it tastes pretty good.
I think next time I'll secondary this or use a hop bag. I had a crap load of trub.

Thanks for recipe!

Awesome! I'm drinking the last of my latest batch right now, I love it. This one is a big hit with all my friends too. Enjoy. :mug:

so i found this awesome recipe and am gonna brew this weekend. i prefer my black IPAs to only get the color and head color from the dark malt without any of the flavor (i know we disagree, just my taste). so i replaced the chocolate malt with munich and was forced to use mt. hood in the dry hop because of availability at my homebrew store. i also picked up pellets for the boil but am gonna use flower to dry hop in a bag.

will be sure to repost once it comes out of the secondary. thanks again.

so i found this awesome recipe and am gonna brew this weekend. i prefer my black IPAs to only get the color and head color from the dark malt without any of the flavor (i know we disagree, just my taste). so i replaced the chocolate malt with munich and was forced to use mt. hood in the dry hop because of availability at my homebrew store. i also picked up pellets for the boil but am gonna use flower to dry hop in a bag.

will be sure to repost once it comes out of the secondary. thanks again.

Awesome, I'm a big fan of being creative with recipes, so go with your taste. I'm thinking about using chinook as the 60 min addition next time I brew this to see how it tastes with a little more "bite."

I want to brew this soon, but only have a lot of pellets. How would that affect the hopping and schedule.

Thanks,

IMG_20110207_162949.jpg

I want to brew this soon, but only have a lot of pellets. How would that affect the hopping and schedule.

Thanks,

It shouldn't affect it too much. You might reduce the quantities a little, but honestly, I wouldn't bother, and just expect it to be a little more bitter than with loose hops.

Hey,

I tried my first BIPA at the pub a couple of weeks ago and it was awesome. This is the first BIPA recipe I came across on the site so I'm going to give it a shot...

I haven't got victory malt in easy supply, but I do have a few other ingredients spare, should I:

leave it out?
substitute oz for oz with more crystal?
substitute oz for oz with amber?
substitute in a different proportion?

Thanks in advance for the tips!

Hey,

I tried my first BIPA at the pub a couple of weeks ago and it was awesome. This is the first BIPA recipe I came across on the site so I'm going to give it a shot...

I haven't got victory malt in easy supply, but I do have a few other ingredients spare, should I:

leave it out?
substitute oz for oz with more crystal?
substitute oz for oz with amber?
substitute in a different proportion?

Thanks in advance for the tips!

I think you could sub crystal or amber, or both. I wouldn't sub oz for oz for crystal though, it might end up too sweet. If you have some marris otter you could replace some 2-row with MO and that would give a closer flavor.

Try either oz for oz with amber, or adding 6-8oz crystal.

Thanks, I was planning on using Maris Otter anyway since that's what I have available, had overlooked that it would be different from two row. I'll probably go with a small bit of amber then, not too much because I seem to be putting it in everything I brew at the minute!

Brewing got postponed this evening but I'm sure it won't be long!

Looks good! I just brewed my first black ipa this past weekend. Similar ibu and sg. I'm like you though, and want some roastiness in it, not just color, so instead of mixing dark malts and confusing myself, I just used 1# of debittered black malt w .5# of caramunich 60 and 1# of carapils. Also used Nugget, Centennial and Amarillo hops. We'll see how it turns out, but what are your thoughts on my grain choice, specifically the 1# of debittered black?

Thanks, I was planning on using Maris Otter anyway since that's what I have available, had overlooked that it would be different from two row. I'll probably go with a small bit of amber then, not too much because I seem to be putting it in everything I brew at the minute!

Brewing got postponed this evening but I'm sure it won't be long!

Sounds like a good idea, the MO will give you a similar-ish flavor as 2-row + victory.

Looks good! I just brewed my first black ipa this past weekend. Similar ibu and sg. I'm like you though, and want some roastiness in it, not just color, so instead of mixing dark malts and confusing myself, I just used 1# of debittered black malt w .5# of caramunich 60 and 1# of carapils. Also used Nugget, Centennial and Amarillo hops. We'll see how it turns out, but what are your thoughts on my grain choice, specifically the 1# of debittered black?

I don't personally have any experience with debittered black malt, so I can't comment on that, but I've recently stopped using carapils in most of my beers, and using malted wheat instead for head added head retention/body. There's a lot of discussion about carapils on this site and why a lot of people consider it unnecessary.

Finally getting round to brewing this tomorrow night!

I don't think I have enough equipment to do a split batch, but I have US-05 and Wyeast 1968 ready to go. US-05 would be the choice based on the recipe, but would anyone vote for the ESB yeast instead?

Finally getting round to brewing this tomorrow night!

I don't think I have enough equipment to do a split batch, but I have US-05 and Wyeast 1968 ready to go. US-05 would be the choice based on the recipe, but would anyone vote for the ESB yeast instead?

1968 sounds like it could work well, I would just be careful to keep the ferm temp low to avoid too many esters.

I asked a guy who produces fantastic beer at my local London micro and has just done a BIPA, out of the two he was strongly in favour of US-05 - and given the quality of his beer I'm going to go with his judgement on this one! 1 hour until brew o'clock!

Excellent! You won't be disappointed. :) I'm about to brew this again myself. I don't like to go without it on hand for very long.

:mug:

definatley gonna put this recipe on my "to brew list" i first tasted a black ipa about a month ago (kamodo dragonfly black IPA by upland brewery out of Bloomington, IN) awesome. have a maple irish stout going right now in secondary. thanks for the recipe

I've seen this terminology a few times - does 'dry hop (7 days)' mean dry hop 'FOR' 7 days (presumably after fermentation has finished) or AFTER 7 days (for however long you choose)?

This tastes amazing after a week and a half in the fermenter. I've only dry hopped once before with limited success, I'm tossing up whether to leave it for a few more days, add the dry hop addition for 10 days, then keg, or just leave it for an extra week then dry hop in a hop bag in the cornie, I guess the effects would be similar?

What I mean by that term is to dry hop FOR 7 days, so if you ferment for 21 days, you'd add the dry hops after 2 weeks of fermentation. 10 days should be fine too, I've done that when forgetting to bottle or just being lazy. Much more than that and I think you risk some vegetal flavors.

I don't keg (yet) so I don't know about adding the dry hops to the keg, but I do know some people do that.

Anyone dry-hop this in a keg? I brewed this beer about 9 days ago. It's headed to the secondary and I'll dry hop with one week left although I'm wondering if I should dry-hop in the keg and just let it ride. In the past, I dry-hop in the secondary for two weeks and then keg (sans hops).

I kegged mine a few days ago after a week of dry hopping.

Had a few litres left that wouldn't fit in the keg...began to bottle it, then thought, screw that, poured it into a giant bottle and have been working through it the last two nights! This stuff is gooood...

Made this a couple weeks ago. I would say for the dry-hop, if using whole hops have them in for at least 10 days, probably 14. For pellets, 7 days should do it. I used whole, and didn't have quite the effect I wanted. Was quite the hit at our brew club meeting though :)

I was planning on brewing this last weekend but life got in the way. Instead I'm prepping for this Sunday. Anyone have some last minute tweaks I should know about? I have all the ingredients to brew this per the original recipe but I'm open to suggestions.

So I finally brewed this yesterday and I ended up with a REALLY low OG of 1.020. After I added the DME, which took a long time to avoid boiling over, I could not keep the foam down unless I reduced the heat to a point where the wort was barely boiling. Anyone else run into this problem/know what I can do (if anything) to prevent it? I think the OG was low because I boiled a lot off and had to add ~2gal of water to get it back up to 5 gallons in the carboy.

I can guarantee you didnt mix well. There is no way to get that low of a og. Especially with extract. You should be just fine.

So I had a bit of momentary dyslexia an read the title as "damn the black man ipa..."

I was planning on brewing this last weekend but life got in the way. Instead I'm prepping for this Sunday. Anyone have some last minute tweaks I should know about? I have all the ingredients to brew this per the original recipe but I'm open to suggestions.

I'm starting to agree with the above poster about dry-hopping a bit longer. My last batch didn't have quite the aroma I wanted. I think I will try 10 days next and see how that turns out.

My last batch I also used only 4oz. chocolate malt, as I was concerned the 6oz. was making the roast flavor a BIT too strong. Not sure if I like it better or not, but might want to go that route depending on your tastes.

Back