Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Can you help save Christmas?

Old 12-14-2010, 04:06 PM   #1
mmmbeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default Can you help save Christmas?

or at least a Christmas party? Here is my dilemma, every year my parents throw a huge Christmas party and invite all the friends and relatives over to the house. This year, being the loving son that I am, I said i would be more then happy to supply the beer for this shindig. Over the course of the last 2 months I have made over 40 gallons of beer, told you it was a big party . I tried to get a nice range of styles ranging from a light lager to oatmeal stout. It's been a lot of work but I have enjoyed it. Everything was going great until last Sunday when I kegged all the beer. After I had hooked all the kegs up to the CO2, I noticed that my regulator body was leaking CO2. Frustrated, I decided that I would have to pick up a repair kit on Monday. I left all the kegs in the garage that night and went to work the next day. I swung by Midwest brewing on my way home from work and picked up a repair kit. When I got home I repaired the regulator and brought it out to the garage to hook it up to my CO2. Well low and behold, overnight all of the kegs had frozen, damn Minnesota Winters! So now I have a dilemma, How should I go about getting these kegs carbed by this Saturday? I brought them in last night to unthaw but I'm afraid to put them back out there so It looks like I will have to carb them at room temp, as i don't have access to a chest freezer. My question is, how should i go about doing this in order to have nicely carbed beer by sat? What should i set the regulator at and for how long? Also, how do I go about cooling them for the night of the party? Should I put them on ice or stick them out in the garage for a few hours?

Thanks everyone for reading and helping me make this a great party.

Old 12-14-2010, 04:12 PM   #2
mmmbeer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention here is the dispense tower I built to dispense all this beer

Old 12-14-2010, 04:31 PM   #3
snccoulter
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 43

it will melt fast I have seen a 20 lb. turkey thaw in about 4 hours put it in the tub place something on to of it so it will sink then run cool water on top of it. Saw it on Alton Brown's show
“Fairy tales don't tell children that dragons exist; children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children that dragons can be killed.”
― G.K. Chesterton
http://whatalesyou.webs.com/

Reason: I hate phones and typing

Old 12-14-2010, 04:44 PM   #4
Jaysus
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 79

I have no comment other than that the dispense tower is sweet!

Old 12-14-2010, 05:21 PM   #5
mmmbeer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysus View Post
I have no comment other than that the dispense tower is sweet!
Thanks! I especially like the chalkboard paint behind the taps. It allows me to write the style of beer above each tap.