Imperial Stout Russian Unorthodox Imperial Stout - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > Imperial Stout Russian Unorthodox Imperial Stout

Old 11-26-2013, 01:54 AM   #11
Oct 2013
Vancouver, British Columbia
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just started a Half Batch of this one, but my original gravity is down at about 1.055 or so. Does anyone know what I might have done wrong to get such a low OG?

Old 10-30-2015, 01:09 PM   #12
Dec 2014
Miami, Florida
Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

I brewed this beer back in January. Made a 5 gallon batch by halving the ingredient quantities. I'm very happy with the resulting beer. My note taking was a bit lacking for this specific brew day, but I remember that my OG came a bit lower than Brewpastor's (Around 1.102 or so). I was still optimizing my sparge process at the time.

Tasted the beer around April, and it was still kind of hot/harsh, but otherwise very solid, with a thick imperial stout body. Kept it aging until August/Sept and it cleaned up very well.

It was a little on the sweet side for my taste (FG of around 1.025), so I ended up conditioning it with a couple cayanne peppers for 3 days before carbonating. This worked nicely to balance the sweetness, and gave a bit extra complexity to the beer. The pepper heat was present, but subtle. Just a note on the back of the throat.

Thanks for sharing the recipe @Brewpastor!

Edit: I'm now down to my last 4 bottles and am placing a grain order, to start the next batch of this brew!
Artisan Stirplates. Professionally designed, built, and tested.