Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Oaking while not disturbing the pellicle

Old 12-13-2010, 11:04 PM   #1
skibb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Default Oaking while not disturbing the pellicle

Here in a week or so I will be attempting my first Flanders type sour beer. I've read that Rodenbach and Petrus aged pale both age on oak, so I would like to try my hand at that as well. Since I will be using oak chips I won't have the luxury of keeping the beer on top of them while the (presumably year long) fermentation happens. I am wondering what's the best way to oak my beer - I've heard that if you disturb the pellicle it can take months to reform. Is this the case, or can I just yank it out after I've oaked it long enough? Thanks for your input!

Edit: I'm going for a really sour beer so I'm just pitching the Roeselare blend in without a primary yeast like Cal Ale

Old 12-14-2010, 01:38 AM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I would allow it to ferment for a few weeks, then transfer it to a carboy on top of oak. The pelicle won't form in the first few weeks, so you'll be fine there.

I usually ferment my sours with US05 until they're about 80% fermented. Then...depending on what type of sour (some I use a secondary on, some I don't) I'll transfer it to a secondary where I'll add the oak, pedio, and lacto. I add the brett at a few months in. The oak will eventually hit a peak and then start to mellow in time. By the time you drink these beers, you probably won't even notice it's there.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 12-14-2010, 03:59 AM   #3
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 380 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Toss in the oak, and leave it there. The Brett will consume it as food. Not necessary to remove it.