Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > quick ??? on yeast washing

Old 12-13-2010, 10:06 PM   #1
OHIOSTEVE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default quick ??? on yeast washing

getting ready to rack some beer and want to wash the yeast. HOWEVER I forgot to boil any water. Can I use distilled water instead ? I do not have time to boil and cool tap water.

BALDGUT BREWS

Old 12-13-2010, 10:12 PM   #2
mojotele
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Distilled water isn't necessarily bacteria/mold free, so I don't know about that. I cap my water off while it is still hot so microorganisms can't take hold in it.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:13 PM   #3
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojotele View Post
Distilled water isn't necessarily bacteria/mold free, so I don't know about that. I cap my water off while it is still hot so microorganisms can't take hold in it.
Ok, seems like I need to get boiling and cooling water
BALDGUT BREWS

Old 12-13-2010, 10:16 PM   #4
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 368 Times on 299 Posts
Likes Given: 499

it isn't?

i always top-off with distilled and haven't had any issues. not saying it's good practice or I make good beers.....

Old 12-13-2010, 10:20 PM   #5
mojotele
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobrewer View Post
it isn't?

i always top-off with distilled and haven't had any issues. not saying it's good practice or I make good beers.....
Well yeah I always used to top off with tap water. The alcohol and lack of food usually prevents anything from taking hold. There would be substantially less alcohol in a jar of washed yeast, though.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:22 PM   #6
brrman
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Distilled water is normally bacteria free - it is boiled water, steamed off and condensed again, leaving all mineral content behind. How could it get contaminated?
Tap 2:.
Primary:. Dark Alley Scottish Ale

Old 12-13-2010, 10:40 PM   #7
mojotele
Recipes 

It's possible the distilled water is contaminant free. I honestly don't know now. If it is exposed to bacteria after it is cooled can the bacteria even take hold in it?

However, boiling the jars also sterilizes the jars which are full of contaminants. For long-term yeast storage that's very desirable. But, one could argue, "How free of contaminants is your beer?" And that's fair.

I don't know, you can totally try it. I'd at least StarSan/Iodophor your containers. Worst case scenario you shell out $6 for more yeast. I'd think any infection would make itself known in the jar fairly quickly.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:50 PM   #8
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojotele View Post
It's possible the distilled water is contaminant free. I honestly don't know now. If it is exposed to bacteria after it is cooled can the bacteria even take hold in it?

However, boiling the jars also sterilizes the jars which are full of contaminants. For long-term yeast storage that's very desirable. But, one could argue, "How free of contaminants is your beer?" And that's fair.

I don't know, you can totally try it. I'd at least StarSan/Iodophor your containers. Worst case scenario you shell out $6 for more yeast. I'd think any infection would make itself known in the jar fairly quickly.
I have washed yeast several times only ever had one jar go bad...stunk like hell. I boiled the jars the first time.. from then on I just washed em REALLY well and sanitized with starsan. No issues so far but no real long term storages either..... I have always boiled and cooled the water.

BALDGUT BREWS