Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Air compressor aeration

Old 12-03-2012, 04:38 AM   #71
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 156 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullGator View Post
Ok, so this thread started out helping me answer my question but has turned into a tutorial of how to setup an o2 system (not complaining, just an observation).

I have a 15 gallon compressor and have installed pvc lines running along the top walls of my garage with a few drop downs where I can connect air tools at different places in my garage. I thought of adding one where my keezer was so I could attach a ball lock air connector so I could clean my kegs and keezer every few months ( the 20 min flush with blc). Rather than waste co2, I thought using the compressor was a good idea. until I read this thread that is. Now I have about 30 feet of pvc pipe, plus the hard plastic yellow air line that the air has to go through before it gets to my keezer area. The compressor says oil free. So what are the chances of spraying oil in my kegs while I am flushing with blc?

Second question is can I aerate with this setup? I currently use the thing with the wings that you stick in the carboy and attach to your drill. Don't know how much oxygen is getting in there but after a few minutes I have a crap ton of foam on top.

Oh and I am putting a separate regulator for this line with one of those hepa beer line filters.
i would just shake the fermentor rather than bother with hepa filters and oil free compressors. if i was brewing 20-40 gallon batches that set up might enter the furthest reaches of my irrational mind but then i'd probably end up getting an O2 tank and regulator anyway.

Old 12-03-2012, 04:49 AM   #72
jcaudill
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullGator View Post
Ok, so this thread started out helping me answer my question but has turned into a tutorial of how to setup an o2 system (not complaining, just an observation).

I have a 15 gallon compressor and have installed pvc lines running along the top walls of my garage with a few drop downs where I can connect air tools at different places in my garage. I thought of adding one where my keezer was so I could attach a ball lock air connector so I could clean my kegs and keezer every few months ( the 20 min flush with blc). Rather than waste co2, I thought using the compressor was a good idea. until I read this thread that is. Now I have about 30 feet of pvc pipe, plus the hard plastic yellow air line that the air has to go through before it gets to my keezer area. The compressor says oil free. So what are the chances of spraying oil in my kegs while I am flushing with blc?

Second question is can I aerate with this setup? I currently use the thing with the wings that you stick in the carboy and attach to your drill. Don't know how much oxygen is getting in there but after a few minutes I have a crap ton of foam on top.

Oh and I am putting a separate regulator for this line with one of those hepa beer line filters.
You just need to do what I explained above - you need to have a setup which accomplishes two things:

1) Removal of any liquid matter - coaelscing filter or Kobalt makes this great little cheap filter: http://www.lowes.com/pd_221024-47120...0_4294813345__.

2) Filtering of the air to a very fine micron level (0.2um). I'll warn you these types of filters are pricey.

And then you just need beverage tubing capable of handling the pressure (which isn't much anyway), and a check valve so beer can't enter it's way back up into the line and filter.

I will say though I'd minimize if possible the amount of tubing (other than the beverage tubing) the air has to travel through before hitting this setup just to minimize any extra junk getting into the line.

It really is a very simple deal. I use air for aeration, but also to blow liquid out of my pumps and tubing when I'm done. You definitely can use it to clean kegs but you need to use it filtered as well, and you don't want to leave it in the keg. Your final blanket should be CO2.

HTH.

Old 12-20-2012, 04:21 PM   #73
stevescott123
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm trying not to be disappointed but I am surprised. I brewed yesterday and oxynated for the first time after a long journey to get equipped. It was at least 9hrs to fermentation activity and the bubbles though regular are not as vigorous as I am used to. I even put a blow off tube in expecting more drama but quickly went back to an airlock.

Oxygen is supposed to shorten the lag time and create a vigorous fermentation...

Oxygen was 1 min at 1L/min and I moved the stone around the bucket throughout. Bucket is in a temp controlled fridge locked at 69-70F. Brew is NB's Caribou Slobber.

The quickest and strongest fermentation I have seen to date was with my last brew where I used an electric whisk to beat some air in before pitching...

Old 12-20-2012, 04:24 PM   #74
jcaudill
Recipes 

There are a lot of factors besides aeration that can account for this as well for example:

- Strain of yeast
- Generation of yeast
- Temperatures*****

I wouldn't exclusively blame it on the aeration.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:13 PM   #75
stevescott123
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Fair comment but it's the only thing that's changed compared to my last brew. Actually my temperature changed but for the better. I have a 2 stage controller on a fridge with a heater and temp is far more stable than it ever was in my home.

Yeast is a relatively fresh batch of Wyeast refrigerated on arrival and then a starter made a day prior - same as before.

Non foaming sanitizer in the airlock makes for a calmer bubble perhaps.

Should I oxygenate more/longer?

Proof will be in a couple of months I guess. Come to think of it I've worried about at least one aspect of all my brews to date. They're all drinkable!

Old 12-21-2012, 04:25 PM   #76
jcaudill
Recipes 

i just think even with care it's too hard to really say. But - what you can do is try to rouse the yeast a bit and see if that helps. You may have to do this by shaking if you can't inject a little CO2 directly.

If your activity is slow and steady I'd just let it go. If it stops prematurely though then you may need more aeration.

Old 12-24-2012, 05:40 AM   #77
limulus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 100

If you don't want to use O2 and you don't want to use an aquarium pump or oil-free compressor, you can use an electric drill powered paint mixer. They are <$10 at HD and you don't have to pick up your carboy or plastic fermenter to shake it. http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/cata...gry=Search+All

I have two air compressors: one is a small oil-free model just like the one pictured earlier and the other is a oiled model that I would never, never, never consider using for my beer. For now, I can easily sanitize my paint mixer and get pretty good results.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
-Ernest Hemingway

Old 12-24-2012, 01:19 PM   #78
BullGator
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by limulus View Post
If you don't want to use O2 and you don't want to use an aquarium pump or oil-free compressor, you can use an electric drill powered paint mixer. They are <$10 at HD and you don't have to pick up your carboy or plastic fermenter to shake it. http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/cata...gry=Search+All

I have two air compressors: one is a small oil-free model just like the one pictured earlier and the other is a oiled model that I would never, never, never consider using for my beer. For now, I can easily sanitize my paint mixer and get pretty good results.
So do you use the oil-free compressor to aerate? If so, can you explain your setup?

Old 12-24-2012, 03:29 PM   #79
limulus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 100

No, I don't. It never even occurred to me that it was even a possibility until I saw this thread yesterday. I bought the 2HP 8gal model when I was building our home theater in the basement. It is now delegated to keeping air in our tires and the occasional job such as building my keezer. The little oil-free model was bought to use at our lake house. But I found out it was just not big enough for filling boat toys. Since it does not generate pure oxygen, I think I can get just as much into my wort using the paint mixer and the cordless drill.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
-Ernest Hemingway

Old 12-24-2012, 04:31 PM   #80
Psych
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamarguy View Post
I've been using compressed air to aerate <= 1.070 wort. Works great. Pure oxygen is necessary > 1.070.
Care to elaborate on this? I've taken 1.105 wort down to 1.014 just last month using nothing but stirring and dropping the wort into the fermenter from a couple feet up, splashing it.

You do not need pure o2, or even forced aeration, for everything over 1.070.