Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > oktoberfest smell

Old 12-13-2010, 06:37 AM   #1
mafeeker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default oktoberfest smell

So, i brewed a batch of oktoberfest recently. It was my first lager and my second beer with a yeast starter. I realized that the marzen yeast i used was faulty, and after a few days of no fermentation, i decided to pitch two packets of dry lager yeast from my local hbs. anyway, that took care of it and it fermented, but had some off flavors. A weird sweetness, i would say. And it the aroma is just like strawberry preserves. Anyone ever have this, or know what its caused by?

Secondary:

Lagering:

Kegged: Shakespeare stout clone on nitro, Columbung chuzzle IPA, Stone Pale Ale clone, Foreign Extra Stout, Irish Red

Bottled:

Old 12-14-2010, 03:38 AM   #2
Skyforger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I wouldn't worry about it. Yeast loves to make aromas - even lager yeasts, if fermented away from their lower temp range. And lagers take quite a while to work off all the off-flavors in beer - that's why we lager in the first place. Cleaness takes time. So far as sweetness goes, take a hydro reading and make sure you've hit FG; if so, again, don't worry about it. Things smooth out and balance over time.