Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Yeast Substitution Question....

Old 12-12-2010, 05:17 PM   #1
RedHeadBrew25
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Yeast Substitution Question....

Hey all,

Quick question...i am brewing a holiday beer ( basically an amber beer w. spices) and i had to substitute the specified yeast (Wyeast 1028-London ale) with White Labs wlp051- cali ale V.

Didn't have any other choice....brew shop was closed. What do you all think the impact will be of this substitute yeast? Or they pretty decent substitute??

Old 12-12-2010, 05:28 PM   #2
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 473 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 111

The London Ale is one of the more highly-attenuating of the "British" ale yeasts, so that should be pretty comparable to the Cali. The Cali V isn't quite as clean and dry as the 001, so I don't think you'll be too far off. You may lose a few of those British-ale yeast esters, but for a holiday ale that's already got some spicing going on, I don't think there's anything wrong with having a little cleaner yeast profile. I don't think it'll end up being that noticeable, if at all (depending in part on how aggressive the spicing is).

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Old 12-12-2010, 05:42 PM   #3
Bensiff
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 368 Times on 288 Posts
Likes Given: 54

I think you will be fine as the bird said. 1028 is pretty dusty though so you might want to do something to help clear it out above and beyond cold crashing if you want it to be ready before Christmas...gelatin would be good.