Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Ready to bottle?

Old 12-11-2010, 08:45 PM   #1
jingleheimer76
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Ready to bottle?

So I have a christmas ale that I brewed back a couple weeks ago. After a fast and furious initial fermentation I moved it to a secondary. I have not seen any bubbles in the airlock for a few days, and gravity yesterday (12/10) is the same as today . . but if I swirl the beer in the carboy, I do see a couple bubbles? Do I need to wait to bottle?

Thoughts?

Date Day Gravity Reading
11/27/2010 0 1.087
12/2/2010 5 1.025
12/10/2010 13 1.022
12/11/2010 14 1.022

Old 12-11-2010, 08:48 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2883 Times on 1701 Posts
Likes Given: 3514

It's bubbling, because, you swirled the fermenter.

Please read this....http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/prim...5/#post2464002

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-11-2010, 08:50 PM   #3
Crazybrew04
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

little tight for xmas it could be done fermenting but i doubt the yeast have cleaned up yet if your not serving it on dec 25 i would wait. If you are it should have time to carb but may have some off flavors.

Old 12-11-2010, 08:52 PM   #4
dvdanny
Recipes 

You need one more day of consistent gravity (i believe the limit is same gravity over three days), test it tomorrow if it's the same it can be bottled. You also don't need to check your gravity so many times. I only do it when I plan on bottling, otherwise you are risking oxidation.

Just realized that's almost exactly where my dunkelweizen was brewed at, OG 1.089, FG 1.020. If you are planning on bottle conditioning though, i doubt it'll happen by christmas (christmas 2011, yea it will). The gravity is too high, my dunkelweizen has been in the bottle for over a month and still no carbonation. Kegging might be ok but you're not letting the beer age long enough to be optimum flavor-wise.
"Queen of Thrace" Almond Cream Stout, "Genesis" Ancient Hebrew Smoked Date Beer, "Lumberjack" Maple Dunkelweizen (10% abv), "1776" Molasses Porter, "Scarecrow" American heavily hopped Hefe, "Iron Horse" American Amber

Old 12-11-2010, 10:00 PM   #5
jingleheimer76
Recipes 

Quote:
You also don't need to check your gravity so many times. I only do it when I plan on bottling, otherwise you are risking oxidation.
I checked after 5 days when I transfered to secondary, then yesterday and today when thinking of bottling. I will need to check one more time for the 3rd day of consistent gravity. Are any of those readings not worth taking?

Old 12-11-2010, 10:15 PM   #6
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 103 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Today's reading would have been a waste of time. Take a reading on the 13th. If it's still 1.022, you are ready to bottle. If not, take another reading on 16th etc. Go ahead and bottle when you get two identical readings spaced 3 days apart.

-a.

Old 12-11-2010, 10:28 PM   #7
dvdanny
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingleheimer76 View Post
I checked after 5 days when I transfered to secondary, then yesterday and today when thinking of bottling. I will need to check one more time for the 3rd day of consistent gravity. Are any of those readings not worth taking?
Like ajf got it right, today's reading wasn't needed. I didn't realized you used a secondary, then you wouldn't be risking any more oxidation then what is inherently in racking in general, I do the same thing and i usually just use the beer that gets left over after racking anyways (after decanting the yeast trub out).

"Queen of Thrace" Almond Cream Stout, "Genesis" Ancient Hebrew Smoked Date Beer, "Lumberjack" Maple Dunkelweizen (10% abv), "1776" Molasses Porter, "Scarecrow" American heavily hopped Hefe, "Iron Horse" American Amber